I'm looking for info about the Newport Rhode Island area.

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm thinking about going to Newport R.I. for a week next summer (2010) I have a time share and found a few places in Newport. That would be a fun ride from Sag Harbor and I figure i could ferry over to Block Island for a day trip. My question is this, What's there to do in the Newport area for a week without a car? It's just my wife and I, No kids. It would be a week without fishing maybe 1 day I hope but no more then that. So I still have 5 days. Is Providence a nicer area for this kind of trip. I was only in Rhode Island a few times for weekend trips. If Rhode Island isn't good for this then how about somewhere in Southern Mass. Keep in mind I'm going to be without a car. I would rent one for a day or two but any more then that and I might as well drive. I'm trying to get my wife to go out of the bay and maybe out of sight of land.

Thanks, Bob

Sailfish25

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Newport

I've been to Newport a few times but never by boat or more than a day. There is public transportation to run you around so you're not stranded. The mansions are available for touring, LOTs of shops, plenty of eats. I know there are many people that vacation there so I'm sure there is plenty to keep one entertained.

If you can overnight on the boat, Block is a great place for a night or two. Our club makes an August run as a group but many of us go over any chance we get. Anchor out and relax.

I know nothing about Providence and personally the bigger cities don't interest me.

I think you could enjoy Newport for a week if you don't expect to be totally overwhelmed with excitement all the time. Sleep in, take a walk, have lunch, see a site or two and then dinner. Walk the docks and enjoy a cocktail or two. It's a vacation so relax.

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Sailfish,

I'm going to look into getting reservations and see about docking. I'm spending more time researching next summers boat trip then my trip in a few weeks to Europe. :roll:

You Southern boaters don't have these 6 month season problems.

Sailfish25

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Our club was planning on a visit to this marina a few years ago but the weather wiped out the trip. They have ferry service to Newport.

http://www.conanicutmarina.com/

PM me with your email or send an email to sne.gradywhiteclub@snet.net and I'll send you club announcements. You will then know when we are heading to Block. You could raft up with us if interested.

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I keep my boat about 12 miles from Newport (as the crow flies) and know Newport well. It's a terrific area and there are a lot of things to do in terms of shopping, great restaurants, decent beaches (some better than others), many tourist attractions, etc. From Newport you can do a day trip to Block Island, Cuttyhunk, or Martha's Vineyard quite easily. You can also take your boat up to Providence and a number of other destinations close to Newport. Being a boater who lives in that area (summers only) I can promise you that there are a lot of things to do

Feel free to PM me if you want more details.

Captccb

Reaction score
If your motoring up from NY, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Plenty to do for the summer tourist. Mansions,beaches,great food,shopping, all accessible by public transit or rent a moped to tour Ocean Drive and get around town. Foregt the Ferry, take your boat to Block, 45 min run from Newport.

Try to lay her up in Newport though. Nothing against Conanicut Marina but you'll have to ferry over the harbor from Jamestown. Won't be the same experiecne for you if you don't have the immediate access to downtown NPT.

I'll give you some good eats and places to hit if you go.