Is it normal for fuel to come out the vent

fishonmike

Reaction score
I am a new Grady owner, just purchased a 92' 175 Spirit with a 115 Yamaha. I was filling up at the fuel dock yeesterday when I noticed fuel coming out the vent on the starboard side. Is this normal when the tank is full? The fuel gauge only shows 3/4 tank of fuel.
Also later that day in the CT river I went over a large swell created by a bigger boat. The 115 Yamaha quit. I re-started but could only get just over 1000 rpms before she would stall again. After a few minutes of running at lower RPMs I was able to baby it up to full throttle. After that it was just fine. Anyone have any idea what causes this?
Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Sailfish25

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I believe that there must have been an air pressurization issue while filling the tank and that pushed some fuel out the vent.

I'm not sure what is going on with the engine quitting. If it happens again then I might be concerned. It could be just one of those freak things.

fishonmike

Reaction score
Well took the boat out today and it ran horribly. Removed the fuel filter and found it 1/2 full of water. Replaced the filter and ran the engine for 10 min before it quit. Fuel filter full of water again. Anyone know how to get water out of a built in gas tank?

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The way i do it is this, bought a fuel pump for a car(cheapest you can find) with 3/8" connections on both sides, then i bought 30 feet of 3/8 fuel line hose(can be automotive grade), cut it in two pieces, a 20 foot piece from the boat to the pump and a 10 foot piece from the pump to your storage container. I also extended the wires from the pump to 10 feet long, so now you have your pump 20 feet away from the boat, the battery 10 feet away from pump and more from the boat and the container about 20 feet away from the battery(battery=sparks, you DON'T want that. Now, remove the sender, stick the hose in the tank, put the other end of the hose into your container and assuming you connected the pump to the hose on both sides, go by the battery and connect red to + and black to -. The way i get rid of old gas is i give to the guy who cuts my grass(he gives me no discount on the bill ), or you can give it to your local gas station, they have a special tank for that purpose. Good luck and be careful.

P.S Make sure the fuel pump is for GAS, not diesel.

Reactions: Maine Grady

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You might also consider finding someone who does "fuel polishing". I had this done this past summer to remove water from my tank. The shop where I had the boat referred me to the guy I used. The process filters out all the water and debris in the tank and saves you from having to discard the fuel. For me it was the least expensive route.

Gary 93 Gulfstream

freddy063

Reaction score
you have to listen to the air coming out on the filler hole when filling , it changes when it starts getting full, then it splashes over and out the vent, just before it over flows out the top. it make a sound like something filling up. But common if you over fill your tank.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Sounds to me as if you got a fill of bad fuel. Do everyone there a favor and let the source know your suspicions ... :uhm

Oh Kay II

Reaction score
It is a frequent but unacceptable occurence...there is an in-line "whistle" that can be installed (I did mine myself) in the vent line between the tank and the vent/overfill port. As the fuel gets pumped into the tank, air is forced out of the tank up the vent line,thru the whistle and out the vent on the starboard side of boat (where your fuel overflowed). When the air passes through the vent "whistle"..it whistles ( a high pitched sound you can definitely hear over sounds on the dock)...when the tank gets close to full, less air gets pushed out of tank, and the whistle stops whistling...YOU stop pumping gas, tank is full...this gadget is same pricipal as the oil driver uses to deliver heating oil to your home...simple and fool proof.....no moving parts....You can get this at West Marine for one, about $35.00 and well worth it IMO.......no more spills in our waterways ( and your not vulnerable to fines etc..)

Lug Man

Reaction score
I would get the tank pressure tested.
There is no reason to have so much water in your fuel.
I had a similar problem. Turned out that I had 2 large holes corroded thru my tank. Since my floor panel wasn't properly sealed, and
my access hatches had rotted o-rings, every time I took on spray, or washed my boat, water leaked into the compartment where
my fuel tank was sitting. The drain tube from that compartment (a 4 inch piece of pvc tube 1in dia) was clogged with foam from
when the tank was re-foamed in. So all my fuel was leaking out of may tank and filling that hold. It mixed with water frequently
and then flowed freely in and out of my fuel tank. Water pumped into my racor filter all the time.
I finally pulled and replaced the tank but was lucky not to have a fire!
Please get that tank pressure checked. Cost me $50 at a local marina.

martinclukey

Reaction score
I think is not valid. cause you know there is more and more population are increasing in this country and that's why these post are gives suggestion to us. thanks
----------------------------------
water filter