NYC / Statue of Liberty trip

JB

Reaction score
Hello all,
1995 GW SailFish, SNE member out of Westport, MA, family of 4, daughters 9 & 11.
Looking to take a "long" trip to NYC / Statue of Liberty over the 4th of July 2011. I understand it could be daunting but I want to do something like this before my girls get to old and want to do other things.
I figure (weather permiting) 2 nights transient to get there, two nights transient in NYC and two nights transient return.
My first thought is one day from Westport to Boats Incorporated in Niantic Connecticut, stay there a night both because of its location as well as visiting the SNE club home port.
Perhaps a night around the Kings Point area. Then two nights in the city and of course return.
Any thoughts, suggestions, advice on my idea as well as docking and such would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance and enjoy your boating. Can't wait to put in!
JB

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sounds like a nice trip but you can expect the waterways and the marinas to be crowded that weekend.

Boats Inc to Kings Point (USMMA) is roughly four hours give or take and assuming fair weather. Kings Point to East River is less than 10 minutes and about 45 minutes to the statue. Finding dockage in NYC may be difficult - best bet is on the Hudson instead of the East river. You might want to consider staying on the New Jersey side if you're not doing the tourist thing in NYC. The trick though is finding the dockage - there's a great fireworks show (Macys) over the Hudson on the 4th and boats are everywhere. Maybe plan around this time?

In the Kings Point area, actually just east is Manhasset Bay, there are some transient slips in several of those marinas but be forewarned - this is "the Gold Coast" and the fees reflect it. Just to the west is Little Neck Bay and some less expensive but less amenity available marinas with moorings for transients (I can help you here) assuming you are staying on the boat.

Follow your charts carefully in this Western Sound area - there are some real danger spots with rocks barely submerged at low tide.

ad3inc

Reaction score
You might want to look into City Island. It's just across the bay from Kings Point. Threre are a few marinas there and alot of restaurants in walking distance. Try looking into Liberty State Park marina after the show. It's just across from Battery Park on the Jersey side. You should call ahead to see if you can make reservations.

Oh Kay II

Reaction score
Sounds like a great trip for the family...the hardest part is find slip space as it is probably the busiest weekend....try to make reservations well in advance...good luck and happy boating.. :wow