Anybody here?

Ruusta

Reaction score
After about 8 years (kids etc) I am back on the water and am a proud owner of a new (to me) 208 Adventure. I keep it in Branford, slowly figuring my way around all those darn rocks that make the thimbles so beautiful. I hope to connect with other GW owners in CT and Long Island. I would like to plan a few trips across the sound, maybe out to Block or NYC. Would love to have a dialogue about favorite destinations, tips, tricks and other information. Looks like the last post in this Southern New England group was YEARS ago. So if anyone reads this, please check in, say hi, and let me know your thoughts on what I should do with my boat with my wife and kids (2 girls ages 8 and 10). I am not a huge fisherman, but looking forward to a few days fishing, mostly interested in cruising and exploring.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Wow! Someone actually posted here! I live in Guilford, we keep our boat in Clinton. It is 48 miles from Clinton to the New Harbor entrance at Block. We make the trim a few times a year in our 272 Sailfish. From what I have seen happen in Block Island Sound I would say your fair weather window in a 20' boat is very limited. Winds out of the SW can make BI Sound become a very unwelcome place for a small boat. This includes your two exits from LI sound being Plum Gut and The Race.

That being said, the CT shoreline East (Westbrook to Bills Seafood, Old Saybrook, Niantic Bay and up river, Mystic for Abbott's at lunch or up the river to the town, Stonington borough behind the town breakwall, or a long trip to Little Naragansett Bay and anchor up for a hike across the sand to Watch Hill Beach) has some great things to offer as well as a trip up the CT river to Essex and beyond.

All without leaving the security of LI Sound.

Enjoy!

Ruusta

Reaction score
Hi Tom,
Thanks for posting. We actually took the boat from Branford to Guilford yesterday for fathers day. It was a big adventure for us to leave the area we know...GPS charts decided to blank out on us so we were just trying to stay in the channels and go where other boats were going.... Our intent was to go into Guilford Harbor, but we ended up going in by Chatfinch island and the Yacht club, so we had to turn around, go all the way out, then back in. we didn't dare just cut across to the other channel... Tied up for free at the lobster pound dock ( I think that's what its called) and ended up having lunch at Guilford Moorings. A great little trip, water was perfectly flat out and back...so now we have to plot out next trip...Port Jeff? Oyster Bay? Mattituk?

Anybody ever go down to Bridgeport? I hear there is some place to go tie up and have lunch or something there as well...is there any kind of blog or anything about destinations for day trips or over nights?

R19war

Reaction score
Anybody here

Hey there,

is anybody here currently living in Vancouver, BC or Canada at all?
Looking for job or any clue/hint leading to one.

Paulaucoin

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hello, Just read your post, Im a Branford guy, we are at Branford Yacht Club. Our first Grady was a 208 also. Now on my 3rd GW. Mattituck is great, Stongs Water Club has come along way, beautiful grounds, nice pool, great restaurant. We have made that trip in the 208. This is how you learn the Thimbles, tuck in tight behind the tour boat, don't fall far behind, its a little nerve racking but you will learn all the nooks and crannies of the Thimbles. Another favorite spot is Kelsey's Island on the East Haven town line with Branford, Bring the boat right up to the beach, u need 2 anchors, Bow and stern one on the beach, spent the whole day on the beach many times. Thats a great boat, your going to really enjoy it.