New Grady owner in RI

cota95

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just bought my first GW, a 2012 Freedom 225. Is there anyone here?
George

IBeGrady'd

Reaction score
Excellent choice George. Congrats...you're gonna love it. :)

Show us some pics ;)

cota95

Reaction score
:noob As soon as I figure out the image posting ...

cota95

Reaction score
VP3424018_10_large_zps42ef1dfe.jpg

VP3424018_1_large_zpsca225048.jpg

VP3424018_2_large_zps00f2f415.jpg

100_5578_zps520a8fb4.jpg

IBeGrady'd

Reaction score
Sweet...and the windlass (first one I've seen on a 225) and pillow storage suggest soup-to-nuts features.

I recently had the drop-down canvas custom-made (3 panel like yours) but I haven't yet figured out how to prudently (if possible) secure it to the deck with the center panel stowed. I'd sure appreciate a pic of your boat's resolution if you can oblige.

Also, I'd be curious about your fuel consumption "sweet spot" once you've established it. I had my 2007 hull sanded down last season and established my numbers at around 2.8-3.0/gal. @4100-4200. Not sure what others are getting on their 225s w/250 4 stroke.

Have a great season. :)

HRGradyWhite

Reaction score
Really beautiful boat. Congratulations. We have a 1992 20 foot Grady and love it. Current issue is it is almost impossible to steer at low speeds. The throttle is really difficult to move (as if it sticks) and we really have to work hard at moving the steering wheel. Very tricky when coming/leaving the marina. Any suggestions are appreciated. HR

cota95

Reaction score
IBeGrady'd said:
Sweet...and the windlass (first one I've seen on a 225) and pillow storage suggest soup-to-nuts features.

I recently had the drop-down canvas custom-made (3 panel like yours) but I haven't yet figured out how to prudently (if possible) secure it to the deck with the center panel stowed. I'd sure appreciate a pic of your boat's resolution if you can oblige.

Also, I'd be curious about your fuel consumption "sweet spot" once you've established it. I had my 2007 hull sanded down last season and established my numbers at around 2.8-3.0/gal. @4100-4200. Not sure what others are getting on their 225s w/250 4 stroke.

Have a great season. :)
Thanks. Attached is the pic of the hookup. It's a couple of eyelets in the floor and some snaps at the top. Can I ask how much the canvas was and did you have it done local to RI? If you would like a closer shot let me know and I'll get it over the weekend. I haven't figured out the sweetspot yet , not enough time on her. I know I was running around 25mph @ 3400 in 2-3 ft seas and into the wind but did not look at mpg.
100_5579_zps01e5a9be.jpg

IBeGrady'd

Reaction score
cota95 said:
Thanks. Attached is the pic of the hookup. It's a couple of eyelets in the floor and some snaps at the top...If you would like a closer shot let me know and I'll get it over the weekend.
Thanks for the hi-res...more than adequate. I am considering eyelet anchor points but I'm concerned about protrusion and bare feet. Do the eyelets stow flush w/deck when not in use? I obviously need to do more research on this.
cota95 said:
Can I ask how much the canvas was and did you have it done local to RI?
My good fortune, I was introduced to a real canvas artisan in Queens, NY, who does superb work at an extremely reasonable price. I honestly had to force him to accept more than he was asking (paid around $250). PM me if interested.
cota95 said:
I haven't figured out the sweetspot yet , not enough time on her. I know I was running around 25mph @ 3400 in 2-3 ft seas and into the wind but did not look at mpg.
Wow. That's remarkable. I don't think I could hold plane at 3400 in flat water. You sure that wasn't 4400?

IBeGrady'd

Reaction score
HRGradyWhite said:
Any suggestions are appreciated. HR

HR, you'll probably get a more informed response in the "Tips" forum.

cota95

Reaction score
cota95 said:
I haven't figured out the sweetspot yet , not enough time on her. I know I was running around 25mph @ 3400 in 2-3 ft seas and into the wind but did not look at mpg.
Wow. That's remarkable. I don't think I could hold plane at 3400 in flat water. You sure that wasn't 4400?[/quote]

I'll check this next weekend.

Reaction score
Your boat is really sharp....can you tell me what type of windlass you have installed and the bow roller ? Did you install or put it in yourself ? Has it worked well ? I have considered putting one in just like you have it and would love some info. Thanks,

cota95

Reaction score
dblair1958@gmail.com said:
Your boat is really sharp....can you tell me what type of windlass you have installed and the bow roller ? Did you install or put it in yourself ? Has it worked well ? I have considered putting one in just like you have it and would love some info. Thanks,
Lewmar windlass.
It was on the boat when I bought it. I got it from Happy Days Marine in Port Clinton OH. It works great, you just have to realize that it has a clutch and you don't use it to drag the boat around. My wife really likes it because she was the one that had to haul the anchor out of the deck compartment and now I do it from the helm.