Seafarer 228 Lake Erie trolling

Sba

Reaction score
A lot of us who fish the western basin troll, any gw seafarer 228 with swimplatform put a kicker on their boat. Would really like to info on this subject, weight, listing, type of mount, can't seemed to find anyone who has a 228 that has done this ? Not a lot of GW rigged for fishing in Port Clinton area, also any ideas where to and how to mount gps/sonar unit in the cabin, I have a small Furuno in the plastic compartment, no room for 8,10 inch screen unit

GulfSea

Reaction score
Here's a post I started a couple years ago; http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19302. I have just begun re-visting the subject myself since retiring.....never knew retirement would be so busy and time consuming! ; )

I think the general consensus is 5-8 mph on a good day but excellent for slow trolling. I'm still uncertain of the mount but once found a picture showing one attached to the swim platform with an aluminum plate underneath for support. If you click on the adventure marine website link, it'll download a document showing a couple of fixed mount options. http://adventuremarinemfg.com/AdventureMarine.pdf

Sba

Reaction score
Thanks Gulf Sea for the reply, found this company a while back also , located in BC Canada , I probable saw this on your old thread ,this might be the way to go, I would like a T ‘9.9 yam kicker, Sure would like to talk to a GW 228!owner who has done this ,For trolling for eyes all I need to go is 1.2to 2.8 range, This kicker weighs around 100lbs , our batteries are on the Port side so maybe it will balance the stern out , with very little list, Please keep in touch , boat is in storage now , may pull bags this comming year, but I had a kicker on my old boat and I know how easy that was, also have an issue with getting and mounting a new gps/sonar, unit , Grady forgot to figure the space out on the 228, all they give you is a little plastic glove box,have a 5 inch furuno in it, looking at gimbal mounts etc, for a hds -8 or 10 ,Steve 859-445-4646, have a safe winter.

GulfSea

Reaction score
I think you're good to go for slow trolling. I'm working on mine for the next few months really detailing everything so won't be going out. But in the spring, I'll throw 120 lbs of sandbags back there to test weight. If it works as I expect, I'll probably have a local fabricator build a hybrid swim platform mount for the kicker, which will likely be a tohastu. There was a photo of a 228 with such as mount but I can no longer find it; it had a heavy aluminum plate with supporting tubes that you find on tee and hard tops and looked very solid.

I have 2 HDS-8's, one in the helm and one on the port side radio box, both networked together. It's a great set up as everyone in the cockpit can see the radio box mounted unit and the capt has his at the wheel. I have been extremely happy with this set up. Honestly, an 8" or 9" inch screen is plenty for the bottom fishing and trolling we do here. I've had no desire or need to move up on electronics.

Sba

Reaction score
Gulf Sea, that is exactly what I been looking for , great idea with using sandbags for checking out weight, listing and supper level,will go that way to see where I stand,I will try to track down where that Gentelman acquired that transom, It is perfect ! Thank you very much, Steve

GulfSea

Reaction score
No problem, if you can post here to let us know how it goes. Especially with speed, handling, etc..

Sba

Reaction score
Went with a 9.9 Yamaha kicker Pooderbuilt bracket, had Dubberts Marine install it , did a great job. Had them put Panther control for steering, This Jan. Panther is suppose to come out with remote throttle and steering in one remote. Pooderbuilt is out of Wa. State a guy name Dwayne has the company does a great job making them . Has reinforcement bar under platform, mounts to stern and platform , no separation no regrets

James looket

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
A lot of us who fish the western basin troll, any gw seafarer 228 with swimplatform put a kicker on their boat. Would really like to info on this subject, weight, listing, type of mount, can't seemed to find anyone who has a 228 that has done this ? Not a lot of GW rigged for fishing in Port Clinton area, also any ideas where to and how to mount gps/sonar unit in the cabin, I have a small Furuno in the plastic compartment, no room for 8,10 inch screen unit
I have a Armstrong swim platform on my seafarer 228 . I don’t have a kicker but plenty of room . Check out Armstrong plaforms