woodruff key on yamaha

cool change

Reaction score
hello .. I just change my water pump on my 1999 Yamaha 200 ox66... I was wondering does the woodruff key have to be flush with the shaft , or does it sit alittle higher thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
cool change said:
hello .. I just change my water pump on my 1999 Yamaha 200 ox66... I was wondering does the woodruff key have to be flush with the shaft , or does it sit alittle higher thanks

The whole purpose of that key is to "lock" the impeller to the shaft. Think about it... if it was flush to the shaft, how would the shaft turn the impeller? Since you just had your eyes on it, I assume you noticed the recessed channel on the inside of the impeller hub... for the key to slide into? :)

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
The key needs to be sticking out a bit. Its a pain in the #ss to get in and out...make sure when your putting it back in, its even on both sides. Also make sure that when you take it out your not dinging your drive shaft. That would be bad :)

Ian

seasick

Reaction score
igblack87 said:
The key needs to be sticking out a bit. Its a pain in the #ss to get in and out...make sure when your putting it back in, its even on both sides. Also make sure that when you take it out your not dinging your drive shaft. That would be bad :)

Ian
Sometimes the keys come out easy, often they do not. The first step is to try to pry it out by tapping on the underside of the edge of the key with a small chisel or even a screwdriver and hammer. If that doesn't work, a good whack with a chisel and heavier hammer will help. When that doesn't work, some folks use heat like a torch but that can cause issues since it will heat up and possibly burn seals as well as potentially damage the temper of the shaft (depending on how much heat is applied, avoid the cutting torch!).
The trick I have used very successfully is to use a Dremel tool with an abrasive cut off disk to grind a groove length wise into the key. Make the groove as deep as you can without cutting into the shaft. When the groove is done, squeeze the sides of the key with a vicegrip. That causes the key to get thinner in the slot and it will usually pull right out. If it doesn't, a tap with a small chisel and hammer should now release the key.

v8boatbuilder

Reaction score
seasick said:
The trick I have used very successfully is to use a Dremel tool with an abrasive cut off disk to grind a groove length wise into the key. Make the groove as deep as you can without cutting into the shaft. When the groove is done, squeeze the sides of the key with a vicegrip. That causes the key to get thinner in the slot and it will usually pull right out. If it doesn't, a tap with a small chisel and hammer should now release the key.

X2 - THIS!