Trailer recommendations for 240 Offshore

jwsonas

Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations on trailer for my 1989 240 Offshore. I've owned for 10 years but always had it hauled.

Thinking I'll need dual axle, will need brakes on it, but questions beyond that...
- Galvanized vs. Aluminum?
- Bunk vs. Roller?
- other recommendations??

Thanks in advance!! :hmm

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
If you are trailer regularly I would prefer a roller trailer, depending on the ramp I think it is easier to load. Sounds like you will be using it just once or twice a year though at the beginning and end of season. This is what I do and have a bunk trailer. I do not tow very far at all and the Venture bunk trailer fit the bill for me. There are some really nice trailers out there, but for the limited times I use it the lower cost trailer barely pays for itself with compared to the cost of hauling.

I still do enjoy owning my own trailer even if it costs more over the years in my case ($217 one way to haul last time I had to before the trailer) I like being on my own schedule and not reliant on a service.

jwsonas

Reaction score
Thanks very much for that info. I'm paying $400/trip (so $800/year) now. Getting steep, and I'm looking to have the opportunity to tow and use in different areas, maybe 2 or 3 times more a year. I'll check out that Venture bunk trailer!

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
jwsonas said:
Thanks very much for that info. I'm paying $400/trip (so $800/year) now. Getting steep, and I'm looking to have the opportunity to tow and use in different areas, maybe 2 or 3 times more a year. I'll check out that Venture bunk trailer!

The Venture bunk is defiantly a "budget" trailer, but it fit my needs well. Check them out but if you plan on using the trailer a lot keep that in mind.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
We had a roller trailer for our Voyager and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. The only way I would ever want a roller is if I had shallow ramp conditions, but I would still try a bunk trailer with plastic bunk covers 1st.
I ended up buying a Loadrite Elite from Pirate Marine trailers and have had no regrets. Truthfully, I have only had a few long road trips since I bought it in 14, so I don't have a lot of experience with it. However, components seem to be well made and are holding up well so far. I probably added $500 in options to the trailer when I ordered it, plus paid them to set up all the bunks. Worth every penny!
As for aluminum or galvanized, mine is aluminum and I like it better over galvanized because of weight and appearance, but I'm in fresh water. The aluminum still looks great.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
As I often do, I agree with family affair. I would certainly get a bunk trailer.

If you are contemplating longer trips made more often in your future, overbuild your trailer. Get it w/ heavier capacity axles, electric over hydraulic brakes and heavy-duty framing.

You will be surprised how much stress a 24 Grady puts on a trailer, especially over bad roads for long distances. Rig it really strong and you'll be happy in the long run.

Also, train yourself to look "up" whenever you are not on the open road. Low hanging tree limbs, roofs at fuel islands, low bridges; you must be aware of all of that as your boat will likely be at 12' or higher on your trailer.

chrisk

Reaction score
I have a 92 24 Explorer. Original trailer was a roller trailer and the only advantage was that I could winch it on the trailer. In time it became more trouble than it was worth and I switched it over to bunks. Two years ago I replaced it with a custom built trailer from Boatmaster in Ft. Myers. Wish I had done it ten years ago. Whatever you end up with make sure it "fits" your boat. Torsion axles and disc brakes. 15" Light Truck tires. All aluminum with stainless fasteners.

My advice is not to buy the cheapest trailer you can find. Find one that is well built and from someone who knows what you have and can set it up correctly.

Chris

gradywhite248

Reaction score
I went with the 8500lbs Load Rite Trailer. Around $4,500 but worth the money, All the options available. I put my 2000 Grady 248 on it. More trailer than I needed but sure makes a difference in going down the road