Grady White 232 with kicker?

gpm414

Reaction score
I've owned several boats, but looking forward to becoming a Grady White owner. We plan to make a retirement move to the Washington coast next spring and I'll be upgrading to a more ocean worthy boat. Planning to fish bays, near shore, and occasionally make a run offshore for albacore when the conditions are right. I've been reading and gathering input and the boat that looks the most able to meet my need is the 232 twin or single from '06+. Since most of the time I'll be trolling for salmon, how do folks do that with a twin 232? Looks like adding a kicker to the single would be easy, but I haven't seen a twin with a kicker; too much weight, not enough room? The average trolling speed would be 2-2.5 mph.

If I was fishing bays and near shore only, a single would be the easy choice, but the twin seems like a wise choice for 40-50 miles offshore. Thanks for your input.

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I fish the Great Lakes in a 232 with twin 150's, trolling on one motor. This is my second season with the boat and so far so good. Sometimes I'll throw a trolling bag in one side or both to slow the boat depending on current, or fishing in the trough to absorb some of the pitching. Good Luck!

Fishtales

Reaction score
I usually troll with one of the twins and alternate each time. The gulfstream with twins is a nice set up...

gpm414

Reaction score
Fishtales said:
I usually troll with one of the twins and alternate each time. The gulfstream with twins is a nice set up...

Can you troll at 2 mph at idle with one engine without going into and out of gear?? I haven't fished from a twin before.

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Can you troll at 2 mph at idle with one engine without going into and out of gear?
Yep, that's salmon speed here as well

Fishtales

Reaction score
depends on conditions, but I'd say yes for most. shouldn't have to take it in/out of gear.

gpm414

Reaction score
Fishtales said:
depends on conditions, but I'd say yes for most. shouldn't have to take it in/out of gear.
Thanks for the replies, this answers my question. Looks like I'll be able to have the added security of twins off shore while hunting albacore and still be able to troll for salmon near shore. I haven't looked into it yet, but I'm not against considering a boat and repowering it with the latest Yamaha 150s. I see that some models have the variable trolling system making small adjustments to the speed much easier. But that's another post when I get to that point..

Fishtales

Reaction score
the security with the twins is really worth the additional cost. I think twin 150s is the perfect combo for the boat.