Fuel tank fittings

4rfam

Reaction score
I have a question concerning the fuel line connections on my rear tank. I have a 1989 Trophy Pro 25 with twin 200 outboards. I have been rebuilding this boat for a couple years now. During the process I discovered my rear fuel tank had pitted and was leaking. I disconnected the fuel lines and removed the metal tank I did not remove the fuel line fitting in the rear of the tank, I took the tank to a local shop where they custom built me a new tank. When I picked it up the old fitting were screwed into the new tank. When I got home I removed the fitting so I could seal the threads only to find no fuel pickup tubes on the end of the fitting. My question is, are both fittings fuel pickup tubes one for each engine or is one of them a vent, both have a screen in the bottom of the fitting but no tube running down to the bottom of the tank. Both hoses run to the fuel selector. I called the company that build the tank and they said when they removed them from the old tank neither fitting had tubes connected to them they only cleaned up the fittings and screwed them into the new tank.

seasick

Reaction score
assuming the fittings are on the top of the tank, they should have tubes that run almost to the bottom of the tank. There is a vent but it should be on the opposite end of the tank where the fill hose connects.It will also be a larger diameter hose than the fuel takeoffs.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
to run twin outboards off one tank, each should have its own pickup, fuel line, & filter. If you had a single pickup with a T connector, it would be limiting flow by half to both engines.
Like seasick said, assuming they are on the top of the tank, both should have pickup tubes. (I would not expect them to be on the bottom of the tank)

4rfam

Reaction score
Thanks so much, I figured both were pickups tubes just wanted to make sure, now to find new ones since these don't have a tube on them. I'm not sure if I can put new tubes on the fitting and solder them in or get all new fitting.

seasick

Reaction score
4rfam said:
Thanks so much, I figured both were pickups tubes just wanted to make sure, now to find new ones since these don't have a tube on them. I'm not sure if I can put new tubes on the fitting and solder them in or get all new fitting.
you should go back to the company that made the new tanks. It is inexcusable that they would equip a tank with no pickup tube. What would have happened if you had not pulled the fittings?

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
seasick said:
4rfam said:
you should go back to the company that made the new tanks. It is inexcusable that they would equip a tank with no pickup tube. What would have happened if you had not pulled the fittings?

I agree with seasick. It would seem to me that the very least they would have done is broach the subject and explain to you how the tank should be vented and what would be recommended for pickup tubes and such. That was good diligence on your part to check everyones work on your boat that you hadn't witnessed yourself.