Macerator Pump

Ralph27

Reaction score
Someone removed the original Groco pump from my newly acquired '90 252 Sailfish. I suspect the holding tank is rigged to be used solely in conjunction with a pump out station. Since I intend to do off-shore fishing I would like to have a macerator pump in the system. The replacement cost of an original Groco pump is more than I care to spend at this time. Can a less expensive pump accomplish the task if it is correctly setup.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I used a standard macerator pump plumbed into the old tank. It's tight but it will fit between the top of the holding tank and the floor of the aft berth.

OffDuty

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Pics and particulars

I just took the GROCO internal macerator pump out and was able to "unfreeze" it. It is now operating but who knows for how long. Do you guys have any pictures and particulars about the modification to a more conventional macerator?

Mainegrady

Reaction score
Hi All
I have the same issue here with my orignal macerator freezing up and woudl like to install an external pump. Would you guys be willingto supply some pictures and/or information on your modification?
Thank you

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Ditto on the pics. I just unfroze mine this past weekend. Tends to freeze up. Does Graco have a better system?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Old as dirt post, but see no one ever posted any pics of the external pumps? Had mine for just over a year and never an issue until last weekend when it blew fuse. Got new fuse, then push button and no motor noise, so it is jambed I think. Pulled floor panel over tank/pump and tapped on the bolts with a hammer and viola, it is working again and worked all weekend. Seems it just needed a bit of a jar to free up, but now worried on how long this might last.

How well do the external pumps work? Assuming you plumb up to the outlet fitting of the existing Groco submersible pump, how do the solids come through the old fitting....through the Groco submersible pump without getting clogged?

Anyways, how is it working for ya and what are the external pump options out there you are using?

ahill

Reaction score
See pic
HoldingTank.jpg

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I see a valve but where is the external pump? What type of pumps are there?

ahill

Reaction score
Follow the curved white hose.
The pump is mounted to the bulkhead behind the holding tank secured with 4 bolts.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Great! Thanks guys! Smaller pump than what I imagined. Why I was not picking it up in the pics. So it does pull stuff through ok with existing internal pump? Will take a look at the jabsco's.

ahill

Reaction score
The internal pump was removed and the conversion made before I bought the boat so there is no internal pump.
I've owned it since May 2006 and the external Groco pump died early this year. The mfg label said it was a 2001 as I recall.
The Jabsco has a higher gpm rating than the external Groco and works great.
I found the best online price at Hopkins-Carter, about $125. West will match that.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ok, got it now. I was thinking wrong here. Was thinking the new pump was going to pull from the 3/4" output from old pump. That one gets plugged off and the external pump will go to pumpout fitting with valve. Makes sense. Dunno what I was thinking here.

Thanks for the pics. Make good sense. Easier hookup and much cheaper as well as less mess by just leaving the old pump in place. I guess only advantage to removing old pump is more capacity within the tank, but not sure I need it as I keep it cleaned out each offshore trip.

Only oddball thing someone has done to my boat is there is a 1 1/2" hose going from existing 3 way valve to a through hull right next to the in/out through hulls. I still have not figured out what it is for and Grady said it was not done by them from factory. It almost appears to me like it might be a bypass direct to water, but having a hard time chasing down which hose does what. Anyone heard of a setup like this?

ahill

Reaction score
By pass makes sense altho is illegal.
Next time you haul your boat see what hose works when you activate the macerator.
Pump out tank first.
It could be direct to the head flush pump.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had front bunks off for carpet repair so opened all valves. When I pump water from head, it would build pressure and not exit through the large thru hull. Scratching my head on this fitting@!?

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have been having a problem with my macerator pump also. How did you get if to free up? Also I noticed last week after I had the holding tank pumped out at the marina, by the time we got home the tank was full again. I must have a water leak. I did not notice the water pump coming on to build up water pressure. Anyone had this problem before?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Grab a hammer and tap on the 1/4-20 nuts on top of the pump cover plate. I tapped on each one several times, not too hard, but firm enough to give it a slight jolt. Then tried the button and it worked. I keep pushing the motor button each time on board and it is still free and working....so far anyway!