232 vs 265 express

mlnatter

Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing either a Gulfstream 232 or a 265 Express. I am looking at the 2002 to 2004
models for fishing only. Does anyone have an opinion to the ride and handling of the 2 models in rougher
waters. They both have wide beams, does the extra length really make a difference?

RJTFD

Reaction score
Cant comment on the 265 but I owned a 232 and have to say it was a great boat. Took it offshore (60+) and always felt safe and comfortable. I fished regularly in some conditions that weren't the most favorable and always felt comfortable. Boat was very dry and very stable at drift. If I could've found one last year in either 2004 or 2005 I would've purchased again in a heartbeat. Also looked for a 265 last year but those were few and far between also. After 2005 they changed the 232 layout and honestly it really isn't practical for the serious fisherman for a number of reasons. I lost my 2000 232 during hurricane sandy so I wound up purchasing a 23 Regulator last summer and I like it a lot for what I do but it is no Grady regardless of what anyone says...
Good Luck

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Agree.

The 232 is a great rig. I don't fish, but it's a great cruising/anchoring boat also.I don't go out in winds over 15kts unless it's unavoidable and when I am in rough stuff it's stable, safe and rides well. I've had mine for 8 years and plan on many more.

I also have no experience with a 265, but from what I've heard it's a popular choice with offshore guys. It's a fair bet that the ride and dryness factor would be better than a 232.

eppem

Reaction score
Go big or go home, lol, just depends on what "offshore" means and then look at fuel capacity? My 265 hold 250 gallons of fuel, enough to run to our NE canyons and of course get home. Not sure of the capacity of the 232 but I would start there?

With that said, I own a 265 and there are many loyal owners on this site who can help with any questions you have. Boat is a tank, tons of fuel, storage, huge fishbox (gravity drains) and the basic interior makes for ez clean up - you can literally take the cushions out and spray the cuddy!

Best of luck.

HMBJack

Reaction score
I owned a 265 and viewed it as a Gulf Stream on steroids which I think is true. Both boats are wide body Beasts but the 265 is a bit "Beastier" and will surely perform better in larger seas due to it's longer water line and increased weight. That said, if it's that rough, we shouldn't go out in the first place right? With a pair of F225's, the 265 will hit 50mph (statute) if that is important to you. A Gulf Stream should have no less than 300hp in my opinion to be properly powered (2X150's). Good luck and all things being equal, I'd target the 265 but think you'll find more Gulf Streams for sale and therefore a better overall $ value on the purchase.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i had an '02 gulfstream with twin f200's. i think it needs twins for close quarter maneuvering and agree north of 300 hp. rarely put mine past 3/4 throttle, but there if you need it.

you need to figure out what you want. cabin "sleeping" about the same in both, but a standup head in the 265. much easier bow access and bow utilization in the 232. cockpits about the same. helm has additional seating in 265. rides close to the same.

all comes down to you. good luck, ron

mlnatter

Reaction score
I want to thank all for your responses. I only use the boat for fishing.
I fish out on Eastern Long Island between Sag Harbor and Montauk.
It tends to get windy with semi rough seas. I am looking for a boat that
I can go with 3 or 4 friends fishing with a safe comfortable ride. I am
moving up from a 21' Sea Stryper dual console. I was pretty set on the 232
then I started reading about the 265. I was just wondering if there is a
marked difference with the ride and handling.

Rosstafari

Reaction score
I have a 265and run out of mystic traveling the same waters that you do. I take my boat to the canyons quite often with 3-4 people and full gear and the boat performs great. Even when it comes to the inshore fishing like you said....you want to still be comfortable, bigger boat more room the better off you are. I have taken a lot of shitty rides offshore in my boat that i don't think id want to do in anything smaller. but I tend to leave the dock a lot more then most people even when the weather picks up. I think bigger is always better

captain swag

Reaction score
I own a 2001 265 with twin 225 Merc Optis. The ride in Really Bad stuff is phenomenal. Landing with a whoosh instead of a bang is the trait I love the most about this hull design. The earlier years had a more agressive deadrise angle that made it a wave cutting beast. Drawback was it bow steers a little more than most drivers are accustomed to. This is all correctable by raising the bow up. Just takes a little change in learning curve about boat driving. Layout is more hardcore fishing on the 265. Make sure you have a trailer and tow vehicle up to the haul. I use a 6.0 lit. Chevy 2500HD gas truck. Go the 265 if you can. You will love it.

Triple P.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in the market for a 265 but I've only gone for a ride in a 2002 with two strokes. Anyone local to long Island that would entertain me for a ride on their 265 with 4 strokes. Happy to reimburse you for gas.

Thanks!