Transom Door Handle Broken - Grady 306

bjflink

Reaction score
Hi, have a 2000 GW 306. The transom door handle has a spring loaded pin that locks/unlocks the handle from turning. I think the spring in mine is non-existent, so the pin doesn't really do anything and just kind of flops around. The dealer said they don't have parts for these handles and the only solution is either engineer a fix, or replace the entire assembly for $300. Has anyone had this issue before and found a reasonable solution to fix it? I have attached a picture. Thanks!

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd give these guys a call.
http://stores.ebay.com/taylor-marine-de ... 513&_pgn=1

They don't have the latch on the site. The part number is 10-561 description is Large Latch w/Knob

Maybe they can provide info and who the manufacturer is. The deal is pretty simple with GW. The part cost X, GW adds another X and the dealer adds yet another X. A $300 part should cost $100. You need to find the manufacturer though.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
McMaster Carr carries lot's of things like springs - check their website out - maybe they'll have something that works.

Or, like mentioned above, find out who the manufacturer it - Contact Grady and hopefully they can provide that. Then contact the manufacturer to see if you can get just what you need to fix.

bjflink

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. Fishtales, how were you able to look up that part number? I'll definitely try and find out who the mfg is go that route if possible.

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Looking at my transom door latch - which I believe is the same, I think if you remove the bolt to the right of the pin the whole handle should come off. It seems that it should be a relatively easy task to disassemble the pin assembly and just replace the spring with any 316SS of the same size. The spring is only to keep pressure on the pin to keep the handle in the locked position

bjflink

Reaction score
Thank you all for the great suggestions. I was able to contact Mike at Taylor Marine, as suggested, and he gave me the mfg name, GG Schmidt. Called them and ordered a replacement pin kit for $25+ shipping. It looks like GG is shut down now for the week due to the snow storm up there, so before it ships, I may try to remove the pin and see if I can find the right size spring to save some money.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That's good to hear it's made by GG Schmitt & Sons. They are a FANTASTIC company. And, yes, it's almost Spring here and we're getting completely blanketed with snow! Gotta luv March! :)

Scott72

Reaction score
I think this is my first post but bought a 2000 248 voyager last year that the previous owner had the door redone, but lost the handle. Went to the Grady dealer and they wanted a small fortune for it. Found GG Schmitt online and it looked identical so a ordered a 6.5 inch handle. Awesome company to deal with and it was 1/3 of the price. Glad to find out it was what originally on there anyway.

bjflink

Reaction score
bjflink said:
Thank you all for the great suggestions. I was able to contact Mike at Taylor Marine, as suggested, and he gave me the mfg name, GG Schmidt. Called them and ordered a replacement pin kit for $25+ shipping. It looks like GG is shut down now for the week due to the snow storm up there, so before it ships, I may try to remove the pin and see if I can find the right size spring to save some money.

Well, GG sent the wrong pin that wasnt compatible. Turns out they dont make or stock replacement parts for my handle. Since I'm the second owner of the boat, their warranty doesnt apply apparently. They also want $300 for a new latch. Seems ridiculous to have to spend that much to replace a perfect good handle b/c of a broken $2 spring. I took the thing apart, but it seems impossible for me to be able to repair. So much for the customer service.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That's too bad. I agree, it's hard to spend $300 when it's a simple part that failed.

Maybe try calling GG and asking if THEY can repair it if you sent it to them? I dunno - just a thought.

I've never seen that latch in person, so just wondering outloud here... I assume the spring is supposed to be on the post that the round knob is on? Are you sure there is no way to take the knob off? Maybe a small set screw... maybe it is screwed on? Again, I dunno - just thinking of possibilities.

bjflink

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
That's too bad. I agree, it's hard to spend $300 when it's a simple part that failed.

Maybe try calling GG and asking if THEY can repair it if you sent it to them? I dunno - just a thought.

I've never seen that latch in person, so just wondering outloud here... I assume the spring is supposed to be on the post that the round knob is on? Are you sure there is no way to take the knob off? Maybe a small set screw... maybe it is screwed on? Again, I dunno - just thinking of possibilities.

So, I called GG and they said they dont have the parts to repair it any more, but would sell me a new handle for $200 ($100 discount). It still rubs me the wrong way to have to spend that much to solve the problem. I've looked over this thing extensively, but I really do think it cannot be repaired..at least with my capabilities. It has some custom press fitting that used to contain a spring...either the spring broke and came out or corroded away. Hard to tell, but seems unlikely I'd be able to get another to work properly.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Well, at least they knocked $100 off. Better than nothing, I suppose. Still hard pill to swallow for a $2 spring.

I agree with the above - look at it again from a different perspective. Maybe take it to work or down to the docks with you - anyone there good at thinking outside the box? Tell them you have a puzzle that needs solving. Think about it for a few days - let your brain work on it "in the background" for a while.