1978 Hatteras 204-C Overnighter

oldgradywhite

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm new to boating and just purchased a 1978 204 overnighter. I've never owned a boat before and know very little about this boat. I'm in the Charleston area which is great for boating, and figured if I'm here, I better get on the water. I had a tight budget and this boat seemed to fit! It has a 1996 Ocean Pro 150HP on the back of it, and runs about 26 MPH WOT at 3500RPMs. Does this seem right? Any advice on this boat would be greatly appreciated and even any reviews. It has a hard top on it as well. Took it out two times now and so far I'm loving it!

Thank you for reading my post and I look forward to reading yours.

gw204

Reaction score
Congrats on your first rig. The 204 is a versatile platform that is well suited for inshore use.

WOT of 3500 ain't right. It should be more like 5000-5500, and with the right prop at that RPM you should be up around 40 mph. Check compression, spark and the dimensions of your prop. Those should be stamped on the side of the hub or on the face where the prop nut is. If I remember correctly I ran something like a 15x17 on my old 204.

oldgradywhite

Reaction score
Thank you for the response, I have it at the mechanic now to check the whole thing over. Hopefully I didn't get myself in too deep with cost to repair! Well see what happens..

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I have a smaller outboard of the same year and the first time I took it out it would fall on its face when given more than half throttle. The prior owner hadn't used it much and the carbs jets were clogged.
A good cleaning cured the problem. I'd suspect your looking at the same issue.
If you were happy with its performance before, once you get it sorted out your in for a nice surprise. :wink:
WOT will be around 5,500 and cruise at 4,000.
Mike