factory trim tab mounting to transom

dbiscayne

Reaction score
whats the best way to remove the factor trim tabs? Just picked up a 1990 242g with tabs, the hinge on the transom appears to be riveted onto the transom, not screw heads, and no way to get to the backside of whatever is being used to hold these on as the battery trays inside the bilge completely block access to where the tabs are mounted.
My tab hinges are really crusty & need some attention.
thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Riveted to a fiberglass transom? Those rivets would have to be like 2" long. Plus they would have had to (should have, anyways) put backing washers on the inside. That's A LOT of trouble. Personally, I've never seen that done. I would look closer at it - maybe they are screws, after all. However, if they are rivets, the way to remove rivets is to drill out the center portion.

Batteries and trays shouldn't be too hard to remove, though. In fact, they should be pretty easy - at least in comparison to some "boat mechanic" stuff.

That being said, are you sure you can't clean them up while still on the boat? That really shouldn't be too hard, either. On the flip side, they may be l-o-n-g overdue for resealing.

dbiscayne

Reaction score
Sounds crazy I know, I'll do some more scraping on the fasteners, just can't believe that if they were screws that every one of them on both tabs is perfectly crusted over in the shape of a dome & looking exactly like a rivet head. If they are screws they're so far gone they'll need their heads ground off anyway.

Battery trays as in factory fiberglassed platforms in the bilge not a screwed down part, the battery boxes are then screwed to them.

Will definitely try cleaning w/out removing but they're pretty nasty, but was in the water for a while before my time.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
dbiscayne said:
Battery trays as in factory fiberglassed platforms in the bilge

Aha, well that's a different story, then!

Most likely, the screw heads are looking like rivets because they have years of bottom paint on them and the paint/crust has filled in the phillips head slots. Razor blades work well for digging it out.

dbiscayne

Reaction score
bottom paint with a dose of crust, nasty stuff the ice pick barely gets it out.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I did this a long time ago on a non grady... use a torch and wire brush to clean the screws. Then use an rubber mallet & impact driver to pop the screws loose.