Video on the Updated Marlin 300

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Nice; Just watched it.

We want one of these in a few years. Can't get it now for a host of reasons.

Fish, do you think they'll keep making the Marlin for awhile longer? The walks keep going away..

Fishtales

Reaction score
I sure hope so. I'd like to see a bigger walk but not going to happen. There are some other nice ones out there. Too much excitement and money to be made with the big bow rides.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Marlin is at the top of my list!

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I would love to have those hatches! No way can I get a new one but I can dream.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Did you notice the flush panel beside the transom door? Looks like you can hook up a hose to each connection on the panel making it easier to flush the engine(s). I sent an email to Grady asking if this can be retrofit to other boats.

It would seem that it would be possible to connect a hose to the gray flush tube, run the hose to a quick connect somewhere inside the cockpit, and use a quick connect with a check valve to connect with the fresh water hose. I installed a stainless quick connect on the flush tube on my F225s and made a Y harness to flush both engines at once and it works well, but if I could do this without hanging over the engines, it would be better.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Sweet. Maybe one day for me. I wish they would bring back the Islander . There is no WA between the Journey and Marlin now. The Marlin is a staple I would imagine for Grady.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Journeyman;

I read you have 350's on your '08 Marlin.

Good match? Is she stern-heavy with the engines and a generator?

The fuel burn is a bit better than the 300's with more speed on the Grady Site Performance Section.

Curious..

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
magicalbill said:
Journeyman;

I read you have 350's on your '08 Marlin.

Good match? Is she stern-heavy with the engines and a generator?

The fuel burn is a bit better than the 300's with more speed on the Grady Site Performance Section.

Curious..

I think they are a fine match, If not a bit of overkill. When I was hunting for this boat, I would have bought her with 250's as speed is not high on my priorities. I'm happy with them though. The torque is unbelievable! She absolutely jumps out of the water!

Yes she sits a little low, and yes I have a generator. When I'm full of fuel, the bottom of the deck drains are just below the waterline and rear scuppers are about half under. I always burn the Aft tank first and after she drinks about 50 gallons, both are dry. With the 350's pushing me around, weight is of no concern.

Some numbers I posted earlier for my 350's. I believe they are close to what GW has posted.
3800 rpms, 31 mph, 1.3 mpg
5700 rpms, 49 mph, 0.8 mpg
Conditions - 1 foot chop, 250 gal of fuel, motors trimmed slightly, no tabs, 2 people, live well full of Macs, full gear.

Since then, I was able to get her up to 52 MPH one day last season. Lighter on fuel and no livewell. I didn't look at my numbers as I was holding on for dear life! Ha Ha! Never been a top end guy anyway. Conditions rarely allow for that.

I absolutely love this boat. It would be a sad day if Grady ever decides to take the Marlin out of production!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks Journeyman, top-notch info!

I have the same situation; my Gulfstream 232 has twin F200's and the scuppers sit almost submerged dockside. it doesn't matter as I'm sure it doesn't with your Marlin. I hose it down after a trip and it drains the cockpit nicely.

I was a bit concerned about handling and trim/tab compensation on the Marlin with all the weight aft. Apparently that is not a concern.

Not unlike yourself, I am not a speed demon. I think I've cracked the throttles on my 232 twice in 10 years of ownership.
What I DO like about max power is the ability to cruise in the low-to-mid 30's effortlessly for long distances while not taxing the mils. I can run 4400 and do 36MPH all day long, although it's rarely that calm to allow it. We run back-and-forth to the Keys twice a year and it's 185 miles one way. We would probably go more with a Marlin and after your feedback, I'd want to put the 350's on it if we could ever afford it.

Thanks again for the info..much appreciated!

Fishtales

Reaction score
The only change I would make would be to either go back to the aluminum or better yet stainless framed windshield.
The black looks out of place to me, especially that everything else is either white powder coat or stainless. Looks especially out of place when you view wide angle with the bow rail, outriggers and other shiny stuff.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Love my new 2017 Marlin!
I'll post some pix when time permits. I have an ICOM VHF and the rest is Furuno. Twin 14" touch screens, 2 RD33s, and autopilot. I also put 19' Lee side mount riggers on her like my 2004 had. The updates are really nice/ I especially like the command elite helm chairs, new radio boxes, bilge access, and painted hardtop frame. The 300s are awesome.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Congrats! I bet she looks magnificent! I would say Best of Luck with her but she's a Grady so I know you will.

I'm curious as to what transducer and smart sensor you installed and if you went "Through Hull", did you use fairing block(s) on the flats? I have Furuno package, twin 12" Navnet 3D, RD-30 etc.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I took the advice of my installer who is very much a Furuno guy. We went with a 1k flush mount tilted element at 20 degrees. Same with the smart sensor.
Have not been offshore yet but it all works great in the sounds.
Also went with new x-class 6kw radar which is amazing. The most exciting feature so far is the level of integration. Goto a waupoint on the tz and it asks if you want to engage th navpilot. Very cool.

I've spent some time learning and programming the package. The level of customization is off the charts. Unfortunately 2 out of 4 weekends I could not be at the coast but boat time will be much higher in May!

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Furuno makes a great package! Great choice!

My transducer and sensor are flush mounted through hulls also but i do not know the angle. They are located on the flats molded into the hull. I lose bottom at certain speeds, mostly on the higher end. Not a huge problem but i wonder if a fairing block would solve this. Just thinking out loud... The water moving down the hull when it is at a certain angle at certain speeds gets "disrupted" when it hits the flat and causes turbulence????????? Might be a future experiment for me.

Fishtales

Reaction score
megabytes said:
Love my new 2017 Marlin!
I'll post some pix when time permits. I have an ICOM VHF and the rest is Furuno. Twin 14" touch screens, 2 RD33s, and autopilot. I also put 19' Lee side mount riggers on her like my 2004 had. The updates are really nice/ I especially like the command elite helm chairs, new radio boxes, bilge access, and painted hardtop frame. The 300s are awesome.

I'd like to see the pics and your comments on improvements since your last one. Looks like they did a nice job refreshing where needed and keeping what has worked in the past....

Polapea

Reaction score
Wish they would run the windshield to the T-top, that little piece of eisenglass is useless. The frame is right at line of sight for me.