New guy here

Shimano Penn

Reaction score
Howdy all, I'm David in San Diego, aka "Shimano Penn" on various online forums. I have an older (1989) Offshore 240 WAC with a low hours 2003 Yamaha F225. I've had it about a year. The fit an finish are a little rough but it's a solid day boat, runs well and very seaworthy. No surprise there is a mile long list of improvements I hope to make over time, prioritizing is difficult. This is a fishing platform pure and simple, it's not a cocktail cruiser. I need to make it into an overnight/ two day boat. I need advise on anchoring systems, fuel systems and creature comforts such as enclosure, FW, cooking options and possibly even a head. My last boat, a Wellcraft 248 Sportsman, was totally set up for weekending and I miss that. I'll spend some time reviewing the forums here and may post up a few questions soon. Would love to find folks who have this exact boat to discuss nitty gritty details with. TIA for your thoughts and suggestions, - D.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
First and foremost, did the engine have the corrosion service yet ? Otherwise it should run forever. I'd just start going through it and look for items that work and don't work. I generally fix mechanical, plumbing and electrical stuff first then move on to fishing and comfort. For anchoring on my 23 GS I've fount that 400' of rode with another 200' on standby works very well. I anchor from 160-250' regularly. I have a 13 Danforth style hooker with plenty of chain. If you don't have windlass use ring and float method for retrieval.

I'd definitely go through the fuel system pretty closely, although its likely a previous owner may have done some service by now. The 10 micron filter separator is a key component. Next batteries, cables connections...

Have fun.