1991 Seafarer 228g-Should stern/scuppers be so low in water

seasalt

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to the forum but have been getting great information on Grady White's. I have decided the Seafarer is the boat I want to purchase for fishing and family adventures. I am currently looking at one that seems overall quite nice, however the first thing I noticed was it seemed to sit stern heavy in the water. It has a 2002 Yamaha ox66 250hp (~525 pounds and a suzuki 9.9 (~125 lbs) on a Grady Drive. The scuppers are submerged ( and need replacing) but there is several inches of waterline above the bottom paint in the water. I will get it surveyed but wondering if this is cause for any potential concern.
Thanks!
image3-1.jpg

image1.jpg

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Re: 1991 Seafarer 228g - Should stern/scuppers low in water

My 228 came factory rigged with a 3.3 F250. She has always squatted low in the stern. My scuppers are about 25% submerged. Now the bracket could have water in it which means draining and getting a new plug with gasket. Also, what kind of batteries is the guy running? If he is using AGMs those bad boys are heavy too.

seasalt

Reaction score
Re: 1991 Seafarer 228g-Should stern/scuppers be so low in wa

Thanks, SmokyMtn. I have figured out how to post photos, so you can see how low it is sitting. Th batteries are not AGM's... If I stood in the aft starboard corner, my feet would get wet. I am just not to sure if this is normal or not as I have limited experience with these boats. I know that the fresh water tank was quite full.

TonyD

Reaction score

I have an '89 Tournament and my scuppers sit well below the waterline. I also replaced the original scuppers with the one with the ball in them? Not all the time but I will get water inside the boat. The original ones, I would get water in the boat all the time. If you were standing on the stern fishing, you'd be standing in water.

Now I get it occasionally (and not as much as I did with the olds) but I also re-powered with a bit of a heavier 4 stroke yamaha. I think I even posted on here about this once before here.

Tony D.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

I have a 2000 Tournamant 225 OX66 without the kicker, here's what she looks like.
20150718_062121_zpsodfhb8n8.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore

I'm not surprised to see it squatting that much. A 22' boat with a big engine, a kicker, and batteries in the stern... I wouldn't think that it is out of the norm. Any water in the bilge? That can add up quickly, too... and of course it would all collect in aft most spot. You could try taking the kicker off to see how much it changes, just for giggles. If you wanted, add some weight in the bow - even if it's just for while the boat is on the mooring - although seeing that there is no scum line above the bottom paint, you might be trailering it? It probably wouldn't hurt to have a little extra weight in the bow, anyways - but see how it is up on plane and whether you have to add considerable up trim to counter the weight.

mjm1957

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

Hello, I have a 99 228 with a Yamaha 0x66 225 but with out the kicker and it does not sit any where as low as the one you are looking at. The fresh water tank in mine is up front under the port seat. I also have double batteries in the rear.I have a 92 gallon tank and even when full it doesn't sit that low.I would have it surveyed and checked for water intrusion and also make the sure the bracket isn't full of water.

seasalt

Reaction score

Thanks for your replies. I did not check the bracket. My gut feeling is that it should not be sitting quite so low, despite the weight.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score

Yep that's kind of low. My bracket is not submerged like that either. If you like the boat I suggest pulling her out and seeing if the bracket is full of water. You way want to check the transom for wetness too but I am leaning towards the bracket with water in it. It is a cheap nylon nut which over time can leak. I know they use nylon so it does not corrode and seize . Anyway, my money , to start with , is the bracket having water in it.

I don't have a kicker but I have 4 stroke . So it is heavier than both of those . However, Grady shifted the fuel tank forward...mine is 125 gallons and my water tank is aft of that. So maybe the twomaybe the kicker is doing it?

If it all checks out install the ball valve scuppers and enjoy the boat.

seasalt

Reaction score

Well, just an update. There was quite a bit of water in the bilge when it was brought out of the water which could easily explain the low stern. It was freshwater which is good ( I think) as it was sitting in the saltwater for awhile, but I am wondering how the water got in as the deck seams are fairly freshly re-sealed ? There were several heavy rains which makes me wonder if the bilge pumps are working...