how to store eisenglass curtins

cool change

Reaction score
hi all.. just a simple question how do u store ur plastic curtians ,and what do u use to keep the plastic clear.. thanks

seasick

Reaction score
cool change said:
hi all.. just a simple question how do u store ur plastic curtians ,and what do u use to keep the plastic clear.. thanks
Before putting away, rinse with clean water and let dry.
I treat mine with 303 protectorant. Just spray a little and wipe with a clean soft cloth. To store, roll up with pieces of old bed sheets or towels between the layers of 'glass' The idea is to keep the clear plastic from being in contact with another piece of clear plastic.
About keeping the curtains from getting cloudy: The killer with the plastic is mostly the sun. There is a protective layer on the plastic and once it is gone, you can polish the plastic to make it clear but it will turn cloudy and is basically shot. So the secret to making this things last is to treat the protective layer with something that helps block UV rays. The 303 Aerospace product is one such. There are others.
Do not use abrasives since they will wear away the protective layer and never use Rain-X on plastic curtains. It can also ruin the UV protective layer.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Some people leave the curtains up all year. I don't like this method. There is nothing like a full inspection, cleaning and polishing to extend the life of these in my opinion.
I have done this every year on two Gradys and found it more than acceptable.

- Take them down at the end of the season. Wash the fabric and glass, rinse well and let air dry. Inspect the zippers and thread. For some reason the stitching on the current set of 06 white stamoid enclosures isn't as robust as the thread on my previous Grady. I've had each piece re-sewn over the past 3 years. Other than that, the enclosure has held up well.
- To store, I either roll around 6" pvc pipe and store in contractor bags on a shelf in my cool cellar or I simply stack them on a large table flat and let them sit. I cover the top one to protect from damage with some towels.
- In the spring, I use Meguair's 2 step cleaner and polish and then treat with Plexus. There is another aerospace protectant that is does the same as Plexus, I've tried this as well and both worked well.
- Finally, If you have issues (I have not yet, but expect to replace the enclosure in a year or so) reach out to AJ Canvas in NC. They can usually help if you need a replacement piece or a new set.

Mwills98

Reaction score
I use Strataglas cleaner during the season and then hit them with the strataglas polish before putting away for the summer. I use a piece of old soft bed sheet to put in between the pieces before rolling up. I got the cardboard tube from my curtain maker that the strataglas comes in for storage in the garage. It's about 12in in diameter and they have plenty of them that they just pitch.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I have strataglass/stamoid enclosure on my boat. I have been using the imar line of soaps, cleaner and polish, I take the curtains/enclosure off the boat for the winter give them a good cleaning and polish then store them in the house flat between towels and blankets. I have found this keeps them in good shape. They also tend to go back on the boat very easy in the spring.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I had the maker throw in storage bags so mine can be stored flat ... :hmm

seasick

Reaction score
If the curtains are rinsed and dry clear, I would not use a polish just a protectorant. Polishes are abrasive and can remove a bit of the outer UV shield and as I mentioned, once that layer is gone, the curtains will cloud up eventually.

Fishtales

Reaction score
seasick said:
If the curtains are rinsed and dry clear, I would not use a polish just a protectorant. Polishes are abrasive and can remove a bit of the outer UV shield and as I mentioned, once that layer is gone, the curtains will cloud up eventually.

I can only report my experience. I've done this every year. The glass shines as good if not better than others far newer. I'll take a pic of a 10 year old enclosure after I install and you can be the judge.

seasick

Reaction score
Fishtales said:
seasick said:

I can only report my experience. I've done this every year. The glass shines as good if not better than others far newer. I'll take a pic of a 10 year old enclosure after I install and you can be the judge.

I believe you. I don't have my curtains up a lot. In fact, some seasons I don't put them up at all!
The factor that most affects the plastic are UV rays so your location as well as the amount of time in the sun makes a difference.The sun beats up the thread too. My curtains are 17 years old and look fine. Based on the cool, cloudy and rainy weather so far in the north east so far this season, my curtains should last about 100 years

Because I am usually contrarian, here is a quote from the Strataglass website ( Of course they want yo to use their products)

We recommend using only IMAR Products. IMAR Strataglass Protective Polish, IMAR Strataglass Protective Cleaner, and mild soap (preferably) IMAR Yacht Soap Concentrate) on Strataglass. (We no longer recommend the use of any other products, regardless of the manufacturer’s claims.) Use of harsh cleaners like “Simple Green and Orpine” will dull the curtains quickly. Using any other product(s) void the factory warranty.
NEVER use a wash-and-wax product on Strataglass.
WARNING – Use of Rain-X, Pledge, or Plexus on Strataglass appears to work for a short time but then dulls the surface and presents an “Orange Peel” effect. Do not use any of these products.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
This may be unique to South Florida or other areas where is gets HOT in the summer....but I once made the mistake of storing my curtains (during the summer off season) in my cabin, laying towels in between each piece so that they would not get scratched....
It got SO HOT over the summer that some areas of the clear plastic now has a nap pattern from the towels etched into it!

Live and learn...Now I roll the curtains and store them standing upright.

seasick

Reaction score
Finest Kind said:
This may be unique to South Florida or other areas where is gets HOT in the summer....but I once made the mistake of storing my curtains (during the summer off season) in my cabin, laying towels in between each piece so that they would not get scratched....
It got SO HOT over the summer that some areas of the clear plastic now has a nap pattern from the towels etched into it!

Live and learn...Now I roll the curtains and store them standing upright.
Wow. That I would not have anticipated.