265 wetness in cabin

Maineman

Reaction score
I have a 2001 265 Express. We had a heavy storm with 2+ inches of rain over a short time. Went to check on the boat and found some dampness on the starboard site up in the V-berth. How did that water get in there? Only thing I could come up with is thru a hardtop leg attachment or bowrail attachment. Any ideas?
Thanks

reelserious

Reaction score
One possibility is the rubrail. The leak could be from where the top cap is mated to the hull underneath the rubrail. I had this happen on my Sailfish when I first bought it. The dealer just dropped the rubrail and resealed that joint. That was over 15 years ago. It hasn't leaked since.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Water is migration is tricky. I'd color some water different colors and check a number of places. Rub rail is a new one for me, but certainly possible. Almost any bolted item can be the source. Just take your time and look for the leak to seal.

seafarer94

Reaction score
If you haven't re-caulked the bolts on the hard top leg I would start there. When I was looking at buying a 265 most of the fiberglass around the legs were high moisture areas. The other spot that my 265 leaked was the window hatch in the cabin and that water ran to the starboard side for me. I popped the metal frame out and put new silicon down and that solved my problems.

Maineman

Reaction score
Went down to boat while raining 2 days ago and the leak is from the hardtop attachment. Will remove bolts and seal.
Thanks

eppem

Reaction score
Buy yourself some double sided sticky strips. The panels on the overhead need to be peeled off the access the bolts and you will need to replace the tape that holds the panels up. YOu also need another set of hands to loosen or tighten the bolts from each side. Super easy. Ours were actually snapped which is why we had to replace.

EPPE