My love runs cold, my memory just been sold

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I always loved that line from J Giles Band. 15 years ago this past April I bought a 1998 Grady 192. I got it from G&G Marine in Edgewater Florida. I paid about $20K for it and it was powered by a Johnson 150 Ocean Runner. The boat brought a sense of normalcy for my family. My disabled son Kyle loved it. My regular kids loved it. The admiral was happy. We spent most of our days plying the waters of the mighty St. John's River, the Mosquito Lagoon and the wonders of the Florida Keys. She was a grand boat for us and every now and then we would put in Ormond Beach and cruise to St. Augustine in her. I sometimes wonder why we left central Florida.

Tomorrow I drive to Columbia,SC and pick up the boat with her new motor. I am paying more for the new engine than I paid for 19 footer with boat, motor and trailer. Zonkers!!! Anyway, that hit me along with the memories of the 192. I love the 228 and have aspirations for a 30 footer,but the 192 was my angel in the center fold as it was back then. Before that boat I was freakazoid kayaker. My brother had a 190 a decade earlier and kept it till the late 90s. You always remember your first.

Here is to a great 2017 boating year. Our big trip is back to the Keys and a run with friends in another boat to Bimini in late July. Giddy up...

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good luck with the new motor.

My wife and I spent a few days exploring around Tampa a couple weeks ago when we went down and picked up the boat. We already have plans for 2 weeks at Cape Coral next year, house with pool and boat lift out back to explore from. Need to get up with you on the Keys locations to head to with a boat.

Memories are what it's all about!!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Congratulations....looking forward to seeing some pics and performance numbers.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Giels passed not too long ago. Shame..Great band. The organ solo in "Give It To me" is my all-time favorite musical passage. Perfect..

Anyway, have a great summer & enjoy the new engine.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm also interested in your performance numbers. I forget, did you have a 3.3 L F250 on your boat before the repower?

I've been hesitant to repower my Grady since I've heard from others that the 4 L F250 gets about 10-15% worse mileage than the older engine. But that was on other hulls.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Doc, yes 3.3 liter on the old motor and I repowered with the 4.2 liter. The fuel economy seems about the same in the very short time I ran it today. It does plane the boat at a slightly lower speed though and the boat does perform better at lower RPMS. The displacement is bigger so I do expect a slightly higher burn rate ...assuming the injectors are increasing the fuel charge ? I don't know. I like the digital controls . I will do a more detailed recording of performance numbers .