First time boat purchase help/advice. 1985 Fisherman

danlalane

Reaction score
Hello forum. My brother in-law recommended I seek your thoughtful and kind advice. I am a first time boat buyer. Just moved to Cape Anne, MA and EVERYONE has a boat. I am taking boater safety classes and need to find that first boat.

I have looked at several Gradys Cuddy cabins, gulfstream, seafarer etc. My family and wife in particular is biased for a center console. As such, I have been looking at Fisherman and sportsman(s). I found this one and am interested. They are asking $9,000. The owner bought the boat as a project and added the motor himself and a new trailer. He installed a fishfinder GPS that he removed so that is not included. He also replaced the bilge pumps.

So questions - is this is a good boat for a first timer to take the family out on the ocean? Price decent? What questions should I ask?

Sellers description: "Boats in good shape. Runs good. Has a 2000 Yamaha 250 motor on it. Clean. Pictures: https://danlawrence.sharefile.com/d-scd21a805b034ac1b

Thank you!

Dan

seasick

Reaction score
danlalane said:
Hello forum. My brother in-law recommended I seek your thoughtful and kind advice. I am a first time boat buyer. Just moved to Cape Anne, MA and EVERYONE has a boat. I am taking boater safety classes and need to find that first boat.

I have looked at several Gradys Cuddy cabins, gulfstream, seafarer etc. My family and wife in particular is biased for a center console. As such, I have been looking at Fisherman and sportsman(s). I found this one and am interested. They are asking $9,000. The owner bought the boat as a project and added the motor himself and a new trailer. He installed a fishfinder GPS that he removed so that is not included. He also replaced the bilge pumps.

So questions - is this is a good boat for a first timer to take the family out on the ocean? Price decent? What questions should I ask?

Sellers description: "Boats in good shape. Runs good. Has a 2000 Yamaha 250 motor on it. Clean. Pictures: https://danlawrence.sharefile.com/d-scd21a805b034ac1b

Thank you!

Dan

First of all, taking the boater class is a great first step.
If you have friends who have boats, ask about getting to go on some outings with them. Make an offer to buy lunch or gas. If you don't have experience with various boats, you are at a distinct disadvantage.
As to that boat, I looked briefly at the pics and I see issues. It may sound lie a deal but you can get more than you bargained for and not in a good way..First of all, the transom has cracks in both lower corners. That's a bad sign.
The general condition of the boat looks a bit poor to me judging by what looks like mildew or mold.
If you are going into the 'ocean' with your wife, you probably do not want a boat with an open/low transom.
Boats that age usually need lots of repairs. If the fuel tank is original, it is most likely a candidate for replacement. Transom rot is common as are wet stringers and other under deck issues

Unless you have no qualms about loosing nine grand, you need to get a survey that will cost a few hundred dollars. You need a sea trial and if you are not up to speed driving the boat, include that in the survey.
My advice is that I feel that you may not understand what you could be getting into, so get some more experience, talk to others, and look at a bunch of boats to help you learn what is important to you.
Good luck

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have to agree with seasick,,, to many issues visible from the pictures, much less when you actually lay eyes on it. Another issue I see is the Marelon/plastic thru hulls. That age and UV exposure, they are probably brittle, one bump or dock brush could break them off, and that's not good.

For your first boat, I'd pass on this one. Since EVERYBODY has a boat, get to know some folks and go out with them. Center console, cuddy, bowrider try them all. For me, the cuddy works. Take your wife with you since she's hung up on CC, might change her mind after a ride in one.

Good luck with your search, keep us posted on what you find.

Fishtales

Reaction score
whatever you buy, get a survey from a reputable guy. old boats usually have a lot of issues with them. I've seen more newbies get the wrong old boat that either never runs, always has issues or just cost them a lot more than they bargained for. It turns them and their family off. make sure you can not only pay for it, but additionally pay for the upkeep, toys and gear you will want as well. buying is easy - keeping is hard.

against the wind

Reaction score
i agree with seasick and the other repleys and trust me these guys know what there talking about !!! they helped me out more than a few times my advice take ur time and ALWAYS get a good survey !! although 9k is alot of money .. for a decent GRADY it is not. I am fairly new to boating myself and i can can tell you it took me 1 full year to find my grady and trust me i saw every boat that was for sale and got to know the market pretty well. my opinion except to pay between 12k to 16k for something seaworthy and decent . with a 32 year old boat comes great responsabilties wishing you luck and ur doing a great thing taking those classes !!

billyttpd

Reaction score
I too would suggest you make friends with at least some of everybody and pick their brain as to what being a responsible boat owner entails. Get an idea of what maintenance and upkeep any boat will require and what that will cost. A boat fresh off the showroom floor will have maintenance and upkeep. You are considering buying a 32 year boat that was someone's "project". Any boat new or used is going to have costs above and beyond the purchase price. Make some friends and get a feel for things then make a decision if owning a boat is for you or not. Things to consider...what this boat will need to be ready for the water.. No GPS so you figure purchasing one. Factor in installation of your not going to tackle the job yourself. If the fuel tank is shot figure a thousand (at least) to have a new one installed. Also consider where you're going to keep the boat. research prices for dockage if your keeping it in the water and if so what bottom paint will cost. In New England moorings are popular as opposed to docking in a slip. Where are you going to keep the boat in winter? Your yard or in a storage yard (more money) Are you going to keep the boat on blocks or on a trailer. Not trying to sound discouraging here but there are additional costs beyond what the boat price is. Just trying to shed some light.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Everyone's covered the points of concern with older boats. I'm wondering if a center console is the right pick for a family. Down south they are big where the weather is warmer but up north the walkaround is more popular. Bow riders and center consoles can be a more fun ride and CCs are hard core fishing boats but there is little shelter from the elements.
If it's just you and your buddies and your son I'd say go for it but wife, daughters, younger kids?
Some may tireout on a CC and want to call it a day before your ready to quit fishing. Force them to stay out longer and they'll pass the next trip out.
I'm leading towards a walkaround.
It has a portapot with privacy. If my wife or daughter had too much sun, feeling a little burned out, they go below for a nap. Cold spray? Again they go below. My daughter still sits in the bow for that bow rider wind in your face fun. Give it some thought.
Mike

danlalane

Reaction score
All great advice. I appreciate it. I passed on that Grady. I took a local sea dog for a drink to pick his brain as well. His advice was to start smaller. 18-20 feet, his rationale was price point, and more importantly docking, getting on and off a trailer, and just maneuvering the boat for a novice. I agree with you all on the CC. For whatever reason the wife (who grew up in Greenwich, CT) boating, sailing, etc thinks the cabin part is generally stinky and unfit for a lady. I happen to think it would be cool and we could sleep, etc. but happy wife....... I might be able to change her mind over time. We have friends who have a 20 foot Mako CC that we have gone out with them a few times to the backside of cranes beach and little toots. She likes that. Also, when we visit her father in Sarasota he always rents a CC and we go out for the day. hard core boating and fishing is prob not in the cards for us. Again, thank you again for sharing. I will let you know where we end or may bounce another boat off you when we get closer. In the meantime I look forward to the class. It will probably accelerate the momentum.

against the wind

Reaction score
good luck with ur search.. Like i mention if u are a new boat owner, i feel a smaller 18 to 20 perfect, than u can always go bigger if u like.. for me the walk around is the perfect family and fishing boat good luck