Bimini Sway

SwiftCloud

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hello all,

Looking for ideas--simple ones--to reduce the sway of my Marlin's cockpit Bimini while underway.

You'll see in the photo that there is nothing stopping side-to-side sway.... I can't lay it backwards as it hits engines and when brought forward, it doesn't make it to the hardtop where I could tie it off.

Best idea is to take it off the boat, but looking for other ideas!

Thank you!

image.php

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Rope it off to the hardtop rod holders. Put one on each side, pull forward against the rear support legs and tie off. Might help some.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
While bimini sway is pretty normal... and to be expected... to stop it from happening you need to think "triangulation". Ideally, it needs to be something that won't stretch like rope will. Here's an idea that I'm sure will make a huge improvement...

Take a look at the starboard, aft leg of the bimini for example. What you need is another bimini leg extending from that existing leg, to an approximately-midship mounting point (in front the starboard engine, for example). You could use quick-connect style fittings at the bimini leg and the boat-side mount so you can easily remove it in 10 seconds. Doing that would creates the triangulation. You don't need another leg on the port side - one side will do it.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sounds like your main concern is when the top is in the boot, not open? You could install a slide track, or just another pair of gunnel mounts(deck hinges) like you have now, far enough ahead of the existing ones, so that you could either lay the top in front of the motors, or secure it to the hard top.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-Bimini-Boat- ... b7&vxp=mtr