Big problems '99 Sailfish Motors

Gianni

Reaction score
Good morning, its been a while....

So thought I had a start to a good season but have an issue with both motors. One motor completely had no life in it, the trim worked, batteries charged and nothing, just a click noise near batteries. I changed starter just to try and speed up process. Nothing. Now for some odd reason, the other motor won't start and again new batteries. Driving myself crazy, most parts on both motors are fairly new as in maintaining. If anyone had similar experience, please let me know. And the Yamaha rep told me main fuse is not issue either because motor would not tilt if it were the main fuse.

Thanks in advance :bang :bang :bang :bang

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would start by cleaning and checking all your battery connections and in particular the ground connections. It may be just that simple. Also if you have a volt meter check to see if you are getting 12 volts to the starter. Good luck.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
As Gotagrip sez, first off make sure you have good clean connections on the batteries.
Also check to make sure your battery selector switches are turned on properly...did you try setting each of the switches to "Both" before cranking the motors?

If that doesn't help, get set of jumper cables and go direct from the battery to the starter.
If it starts normally with the jumper cables, you know your issue is somewhere between your battery cables and your starter.

If jumping it still does nothing, you have either a dead battery, a bad starter or a bad key switch.

Since you said the batteries are new and you already changed the starter, I'd look at the key switch and circuit from the switch to the battery as the possible problem.

Gianni

Reaction score
Wouldn't I not be able to get a "crank" if it were the key switch... Im not doubting you, just thinking.

Any other replies help.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Gianni said:
Wouldn't I not be able to get a "crank" if it were the key switch... Im not doubting you, just thinking.

Any other replies help.

Did you clean the battery contacts?
Is it cranking and not firing or is it not cranking at all?
Did you try to jump it?

Gianni

Reaction score
not cranking at all.

Just a click noise.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
After you check all of the connections and if you are still having a problem I had corrosion on the inside of the battery selector switch contacts. It was very easy to disassemble, clean, and put back together. Defiantly sounds like a bad connection somewhere on the boat itself since both motors are acting up.

freddy063

Reaction score
it's sounds really strange that both motors will not crank over, I would look at all the safety switch's start with the helm neutral switch. can you spin the props are they in neutral. But if that all good check your grounds, might try using a battery booster pack right to the starter and engine by pass everything and see if it cranks.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Some ideas as it definitely sounds like an electrical issue:
- Do you get any alarms at the helm?
- Check battery switches, leverage them to try different batteries and check your breakers.
- Use a DVM and measure voltage at batteries and at various points in the system. You may need a 2nd person to assist.
- Check the voltage at the motors as discussed. If it collapses when the key is turned, you may have bad batteries.
- Is there a solenoid in addition to the battery on your engines - if so check and potentially jump the contacts if you can/know how to do.
- Jump start the engines directly. Likely need an external battery you know is good or a vehicle.