33 Grady

Special K's

Reaction score
Ok so I just got the 33 Grady, 2007, love the boat. Quick question, has anyone found an easy solution for getting on and off the Grady when backing into a slip. I can do it no issue but I am worried about my wife and quests. Any suggestions and pictures would be helpful. I just put Taco outriggers on the boat, Garmin 7612's, under water lights, and additional rod holders. Love the boat so far. I also noticed when you turnm off the engines a pump runs for about 45 secs and shuts off, I can't figure out what that is. Also still working through some issues with the Garmin auto Pilot and 7612's. Garmin customer service has been great but I didnt expect a few kinks.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Todd makes some nice boat steps - lightweight, but sturdy.

Pump running... could be an auto tab retract? Find your trim tab motor and check it out. Or deploy the tabs fully, then turn engine off and observe the tabs.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Likely the trim tabs as you state. They do retract when the engines are turned off. Try putting the key on (don't start the engines), then turn off. They should retract.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
It is the trim tabs retracting. You can disable the auto retract function if you'd like. Bennett customer service can provide guidance.

Bumpye

Reaction score
Couple of questions on docking. Do you have twins or single, bow thruster? These obviously make the job a lot easier. The best advice I ever got was practice, practice, practice. Pick a calm day with no one beside you in your slip. Also-never go faster than your willing to hit the dock. I know captains who have been boating for over 30 years and they still say every time is different. Some days will be good, some not. Don't worry about it-just be prepared. Let your crew know what to do. Backing into the wind and current is easiest-it will keep your bow straight. With the wind it tends to catch the bow. If able raise any side curtains-less windage. And finally-just relax and enjoy.

Special K's

Reaction score
Bumpye said:
Couple of questions on docking. Do you have twins or single, bow thruster? These obviously make the job a lot easier. The best advice I ever got was practice, practice, practice. Pick a calm day with no one beside you in your slip. Also-never go faster than your willing to hit the dock. I know captains who have been boating for over 30 years and they still say every time is different. Some days will be good, some not. Don't worry about it-just be prepared. Let your crew know what to do. Backing into the wind and current is easiest-it will keep your bow straight. With the wind it tends to catch the bow. If able raise any side curtains-less windage. And finally-just relax and enjoy.

Thank you for the response. My question really wasnt about docking but I appreciate the feedback. Good point about side curtains should it be real windy. Enjoy, thanks again.

Special K's

Reaction score
wspitler said:
It is the trim tabs retracting. You can disable the auto retract function if you'd like. Bennett customer service can provide guidance.

Thank you, that's exactly what it is. Not a bad feature, I think I will leave it as is. Thank you for the response.

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
Interesting, i never recall hearing that on my 09 33 express. Maybe because i do not use much tab? I have had 2 wellcrafts and a sea ray, and i can honestly say i love this boat the best!

DreamCatcher

Reaction score
Not sure exactly what the question is. Are you speaking about getting some one off so they can throw you lines? Or are you speaking about getting off the boat in general? If you are speaking about throwing you lines etc... then I would suggest that you add an extra spring line. One that you can loop on the rear cleat to stop and stabilize the boat easily before having anyone get off. I do this and then just tie the boat off. If you are speaking of getting on and off in general, use the step and have a step on the dock if it is a floating dock. If this doesn't help give more specifics as to what you need help with.

bjflink

Reaction score
We back into our slip but have a finger pier on our port side that runs out to almost midships. I have a very heavy fiberglass boarding footstool that came off a Viking that I permanently leave in the aft cockpit. It has a hinged lid, so it doubles...rather it triples as a boarding step, a seat and as dry storage for a few items. Its not that big...only about 16-18" wide by 12" wide, but makes a huge difference when boarding or de-boarding. If you don't have a finger pier then this obviously doesn't help you.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
THIS
1b8b5aa3ec86fd9bc5d42ae6b8fd5699.500

PLUS THIS
BNGGWM-2.jpg

PLUS THIS
14910707.jpg

Frank G

Reaction score
We also have a 330 and back into our slip. We bought a rubber maid 2 step folding stool for people to use when boarding or getting off. In combination with the boarding handle shown in the previous post its now safe and easy.

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
I also purchased the boarding handle. That helps. I also purchased the 2step Rubber maid, folding step. It is not as sturdy as I would like, and seems to slip. I am going to try adding some non-stick pads on the feet to see if that helps. I also ordered the 30" bearing mat from Grady-White. That really looks nice, is very weighted and I am hoping will save my padded bolsters.
Mike