95 223 Tournament Aux. engine

capt1947

Reaction score
Hello,
I am begining the research process regarding the addition of a "get me home" outboard for my Tournament.

I have the standard notched transom with a platform and boarding ladder on the port side. I am looking for info for the type of bracket, long shaft or short, lift vertically or tip up ,electric or pull start ,horsepower and 2 cycle or 4. I am leaning towards 2 cycle in that I can easily rig a y type valve off my existing fuel supply line. I don't plan on upgrading to a 4 cycle Yamaha anytime soon. My 200 Yamaha runs very well.

I look forward to your helpful information.
Thanks
Capt

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I depend on Seatow for my get-home engine. Only used 'em a couple of times, but we came home on plane and on the same day ... :wink:

seasick

Reaction score
capt1947 said:
Hello,
I am begining the research process regarding the addition of a "get me home" outboard for my Tournament.

I have the standard notched transom with a platform and boarding ladder on the port side. I am looking for info for the type of bracket, long shaft or short, lift vertically or tip up ,electric or pull start ,horsepower and 2 cycle or 4. I am leaning towards 2 cycle in that I can easily rig a y type valve off my existing fuel supply line. I don't plan on upgrading to a 4 cycle Yamaha anytime soon. My 200 Yamaha runs very well.

I look forward to your helpful information.
Thanks
Capt

If you want a second motor not for trolling but as backup, buying tow insurance is a much better investment. Remember that adding another motor will affect the boats balance especially side to side. In moderate to rough seas, especially into the wind it won't be powerfull enough to get you home. It will add maintenance expenses. If you have a problem with a bad load of gas, both engines will be affected.

As to plumbing, the fuel issue concerns would be due to the need for pre-mixed oil/gas. Assuming your current setup uses the Yamaha Precission Oil system ( remote tank), there is no way to share pre-mixed gas/oil for a second 2s motor. That motor would need its own tank with pre-mixed gas. A 4s could be piped into a valve as you mentioned to share the main gas tank but as stated, if you have a gas/tank issue, both motors will have issues.