It was all fun and games till my motor got stolen

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Greetings:
Sometime between midnight and 7 AM some people felt the need for my new motor than I had. I am in Titusville,Florida with my youngest son for a schools out father son fishing trip. I have been here for 24 hours and woke up this fine morning to discover my motor gone.

There is no other damage to the boat or bracket. They clearly dropped the motor as there is a gouge in the shell lined driveway at my brother's house. I suspect they had a crew of 3-5 dudes.i also suspect the Rabalo parked across the street was the original target with it's F300 on it.

Yes report filed with Sheriff's office and Yamaha. Yes I put my claim into USAA/Progressive and I called Mid Carolina to line up a drop off on the way home. I need a boat drink.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm so sorry to hear that, Bob. I just posted on the other thread, but I want to say it again... Thieves are some of the lowest scum on the face of the Earth. I hope the cops find them and that the consequences are severe. But an even higher hope is that you can salvage the father/son trip. Even if it's not fishing - doing something together is the important part. And he'll remember for the rest of his life that you made lemonade from lemons.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
As it turns out my Carolina skiff is at my brother's house too. Cole is out fishing the Indian River for mangrove snapper with his cousins. I will go fishing Sunday. No mahi, but we are fishing. Thanks for the thoughts. It is sinking in and I am just kind of bummed a little. Breath in, breath out move on

Fishtales

Reaction score
That is horrible. I hope your insurance company treats you well and keeps you whole.
Outboard manufacturers need to come up with a solution for this.

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
That absolutely sucks, sorry to read that today :(

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Unbeliveable.

So sorry, as others have said.

Can you orchestrate another install before your Keys run?

cool change

Reaction score
Well said dennis.. what a scumming thing to do !! I will tell u this THE BIG MAN upstairs see's everthing you cant fool him what goes around comes a around does not matter what u do with ur son the time spent is what matters !!

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
So sorry to hear, but at least you will find out if there was something wrong with the prior engine.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm so sorry to hear this, Bob. And while you're on vacation!

If you guys want to try some offshore in the Gulf while you're down in FL, give me a call. Grouper have been slow but there are some kings around chasing the bait schools about 30 miles out.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Thanks guys. We went fishing in the Indian River. My skiff is at my brother's place and we had a nice time catching trout, Mangrove snapper and such.

My insurance is through USAA/Progressive for the boat. Turns out I thought I had $1,000 deductible,but it is $0 deductible! Dropping boat off on the way home and Progressive anticipates settling the claim by week's end. MidCarolina thinks boat back week after that.

Thanks Doc for the offer to fish with you guys that's super cool.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Bob: That is just terrible. But your response to it; Well, that is just the stuff that Dad's are made of. Wishing you a truly Happy Father's Day.

Rob

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
SmokyMtnGrady said:
Thanks guys. We went fishing in the Indian River. My skiff is at my brother's place and we had a nice time catching trout, Mangrove snapper and such.

My insurance is through USAA/Progressive for the boat. Turns out I thought I had $1,000 deductible,but it is $0 deductible! Dropping boat off on the way home and Progressive anticipates settling the claim by week's end. MidCarolina thinks boat back week after that.

When I first read this I was too bent about the bastards that stole the motor to see that you had USAA covering it.
Great company. They came through for us more than once.
You'll make out ok with them.
As for those that stole from you, I believe in karma and it will come back on them eventually.
Mike

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
SmokyMtnGrady said:

Smoky, glad insurance is working quickly. FYI on props - I had my new F250 with 1/4 X 19 props and got 4,900 RPMs. Just got the new props and the are 15 1/2 X 17. The new ones now turn 5,600 RPMs. Top end speed the same - hole shot acceleration is improved. Good luck with your second new engine!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hey Guys, motor is on order and I am buying the YCOP engine theft deterrent system. Given I boat in Florida every year I think it is a wise investment. I know, I know if they want it they will take it,but at least we can make it a PITA for them. Also the decals go a long way stating this boat is a head ache .lol.

Thanks for the prop tips. I am getting a SDS 15.5 x17 . It is what Grady recommends.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hey guys... insurance has paid the claim. Motor should be here at the end of the week, cross my fingers. I bought YCOP and will let y'all know about that as well.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Great news....looks like your 4th of July plans may be OK after all.....

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Parthery, I was told today they are hoping for 12 days from now.

I saw a tractor trailer today with two brand new shrink wrapped Gradys going west on I 40. They were dual console boats. One was rigged. They were either 192s or the new 21footers.

Bumpye

Reaction score
:p Not sure about karma or the Man upstairs watching, but these a**holes did this because they don't have a life. They will do it again until they get caught. I always think the same thing when I read about something like this...what are they going to do next week for money? If they get away with it once, they'll try it again. If you live long enough, you realize there are POS's out there but a lot of good people too. Hang out with the good ones!!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Bumpye,
The more I read about this stuff going on in Florida and the southeast , these guys were likely part of an organized ring. Their living is stealing motors and boats. I don't believe for a second it was a couple guys looking to score money for crack. It was quick, surgical and clean in how they removed my motor. I wish the FBI, Customs and local law enforcement would earnestly go after this. The folks at Mid Carolina Marine who are working on my boat were hit last fall. I think a dozen or so motors stolen from new boats. This is my first major crime incident against me or my property. So, it is my first rodeo and I hope it is my last in this regard.