2WD or AWD for tow vehicle

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am looking into getting a new vehicle and currently I drive a car, Chrysler 300. I was looking to get a Dodge Durango to drive on my job, I travel a lot, and tow my utility trailer, stuff and boats on a limited basis. My wife has a Yukon that is the main tow vehicle but I can't always get it and I want to be able to do what I need to do. I am looking at a Dodge Durango with the 5.7, Class IV tow package, and it is rated to tow 7200 lbs. The one I like is a RWD and not AWD, my question is do I need the AWD? I think about the ramps I may be using and how slick they can be and the very, very rare event I am caught in inclement weather here in the Carolinas. The mileage on the RWD and AWD is the same, but the AWD adds a lot of mechanics that I won't use the majority of the time. I have a 2000 Tournament 225. Thoughts?

chrisk

Reaction score
It would suck to find out you need AWD to pull the boat up the ramp and not have it. Don't most AWD vehicles have a setting that allows 2WD unless needed?

Chris

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Chris, that is what I thought and the Durango is full time AWD, you cannot select 2WD, just like my wife's Yukon. My mechanic said AWD is OK but there is a lot of parts there to mess up. It's not like 4WD where you can select 2 or 4WD.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Two Things:

1.) The condition/incline of the ramps you frequent.
Is the exposed area of the ramp at low tide slick with slime,etc?
Is the concrete deeply grooved allowing for traction?

2.) The weight of your boat.
I have a 232 Gulfstream. In my towing days before I moved to Fla, I rarely needed 4WD on my Dodge dually even though the boat weighed 10,000 lbs. I experienced a variety of ramps back then.

Of course, there is the age-old saying that you almost never need it, but when you do, you REALLY do.

Judgement call at best after assessing your total situation.

Me?

I would have the AWD if you don't want a truck with the 2WD/4WD option. I would just feel better having it there rather than needing to be towed up the ramp, boat & all.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I have had a AWD Highlander, AWD or full time 4WD with locking center differential 4Runner with a V8 and i currently own AWD Venza. I never had issues with my Toyotas with AWD ever. I would buy one in heart beat. My trucks , also Toyota Tundras are 4WD.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
This is an easy answer, 4wd or AWD.
You cannot guarantee traction for a 2wd on a ramp.
If it tidal or even a lake ramp water height will change a ramp dramatically. Low water can expose slime or make it nessesary to drop your tires off the edge of the ramp. Gravel at the top of a ramp act like marbles. Check out YouTube for ramp follies involving 2wd vehicles. Don't do that to yourself. Buy the the Awd and you'll appreciate how it handles on wet roads and snow too.
Mike

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
Living in New England (and towing boats) all of my vehicles have been 4wd/awd for many years and I wouldn't have it any other way. There is some very minor fluid-change cost occasionally to maintain the AWD system, and you'll probably lose a mpg or so because of the extra weight of the vehicle and other factors that rob fuel particularly when AWD/4wd is engaged, but I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles on AWD/4wd vehicles (including an early 2000's Durango actually that was a great vehicle) and I never once had a problem with the system. Well worth it in my opinion even for your occasional need situation.

seasick

Reaction score
As many have alluded to, the issue is not so much towing but rather launching. On even flat surfaces in normal weather (unless you tow in snow or ice) 2wd vs 4wd doesn't make a lot of difference but 2w rear drive may be preferable to 2w front drive since more load will usually be placed be on the rear axle.
Launching and hauling are another story altogether. Launch ramps are often wet and slimy. 4WD is the way to go.
I have a pickup that is normally 2wd but can be electrically switched to 4wd at low speeds (2nd gear and lower). I know from experience that I need the 4wd to haul my boat. Without it, I experience wheel slip
In summary, assuming that whatever you choose has enough towing capacity, I recommend awd or 4wd.

SC Adventure 208

Reaction score
I think the bigger question is whether you want a Dodge or a more reliable tow vehicle.

seasick

Reaction score
SC Adventure 208 said:
I think the bigger question is whether you want a Dodge or a more reliable tow vehicle.

LOL

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
SC Adventure 208 said:
I am on my 3rd Chrysler 300. I buy them, keep it 4 years, put about 200K miles on it and get another. I guess I am a Chrysler man.
dad9943925e191e7ae78cc33c543638b.jpg

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Another couple of points I can add. I have a 4wd Chevy pickup.
I can select 2wd, 4wd high, and 4wd low.
I also have a Jeep Commander with full time awd and also can be shifted to 4wd low.
The pickup is actually better at 4 wheeling and in deep snow. 4wd on the road risks a broken front axle and 2wd in the rain sucks. The Jeeps awd handles in the rain like it's on rails. 4wd drive low puts it on par with the pickup. The pickups ground clearance gives it an advantage in the deep snow. If enough snow piles up under the vehicle all the best traction in the world becomes useless.
Again 2wd is a big risk on a boat ramp.
Mike

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am on my third Suburban, with over 200K on each in NC. I bet that I don't have 10 miles total in 4wd, and I have never used it on a boat ramp, lake or coastal, and I have owned boats for 30 years.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well I have decided against trading my 300. I found out I have a lifetime warranty, my lifetime, and I don't want to give up my 30 MPG. So I won't be towing myself, just using the Yukon and working around my wife's schedule.