208 Adventure repower options

fullphase

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a 2006 208, that needs new power. I have a 225 honda on right now and just wondering if what I should go with. I am leaning toward yamaha. Just wondering if I should go with a 200hp or 225? Is anyone running a 200hp on a 208? I am thinking it should be fine if it has the correct prop pitch. I am not concerned about top speed, but I do do a couple of trips a year that require a heavy load. Any thoughts advice is welcome.
thanks

altouchet

Reaction score
I had the same boat with a Yamaha F250 V-6. Although the power was great, I felt the weight on the transom adversely affected the way the boat performed. I think the new Yamaha F200 inline 4 cylinder would be the perfect combination of power, and weight for that boat. It's under 500 lbs. Of course, it depends on what type of activities you do with the boat, how many people you normally carry, and whether you have a hard top, or not.

fullphase

Reaction score
Good call, because I do have a hardtop. Most times I dont have a huge load.....but a couple of times a year I do for sure!

MA208

Reaction score
I had a 2007 with a hard top and F200 V6 yamaha. No problems at all. Felt like the perfect power to me. 5700 rpm 42 mph with 40 gal fuel and full water, 1 person, trimmed well in glassy water. Also had 4 adults and 4 kids on board and it pulled a tube around no problem. Obviously it is sensitive to fuel load since fuel is heavy, but it just seemed to like being tabbed down a fair amount when loaded heavy. No issues getting on plane at all. I can't speak to the new 4 cyl F200, but I suspect that with the weight savings it would do even better. Looks like it saves 120 pounds over what I had.

ric2352

Reaction score
I have the F200XB (4 cyl) on my 208. It's fabulous....plenty of power, no weight issues, great fuel economy.... doubled my range over the old 175 2 stroke, top end about 45 mph, which like you I don't care about. I'd do it again....go for it!

fullphase

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.....hey Ric, is your 208 a hardtop?

fullphase

Reaction score
wow....that is impressive! Are they far enough along to call them proven yet?

Finest Kind

Reaction score
fullphase said:
wow....that is impressive! Are they far enough along to call them proven yet?

That video is several years old. The first G2's were sold in June of 2014.
They are tried and true and proven in the field.....love mine!

ric2352

Reaction score
Yes, hardtop, full canvas and a 9.9 kicker. Suzuki would be the only other engine I would look at closely

fullphase

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the tips....I think I will bite the bullet and go with the 200hp rather then the 225.
If propped correctly I think I will be fine....

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I would bite another bullet and get the YCOP motor theft deterrent system for $750. I am repowering for the 2nd time in 2 months. I ordered YCOP. I like to boat every now and then in the Keys and Bahamas. It is worth it to me since last week my motor was stolen out of Titusville in my brothers driveway. New motor is a good target

fullphase

Reaction score
Hey Smoky.....thanks for the tip!

Damn....I just read your post about your engine.....so sorry man! Best of luck to you in retrieving it, or the insurance coming good!

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
SmokyMtnGrady said:
I would bite another bullet and get the YCOP motor theft deterrent system for $750. I am repowering for the 2nd time in 2 months. I ordered YCOP. I like to boat every now and then in the Keys and Bahamas. It is worth it to me since last week my motor was stolen out of Titusville in my brothers driveway. New motor is a good target
This has a familiar ring.
I had ADT install their stuff two days after my home got robbed.
Mike

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Lt.Mike said:
This has a familiar ring.
I had ADT install their stuff two days after my home got robbed.
Mike

Agree. You never think you need it until you wish you had it......