268 Islander (Red liquid from rod holder)

Stephnic

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have an 98 Islander. I have a steady drip of red liquid coming from my rod holder located just behind my fuel fill cap. Two years ago, I removed the rod holder while the boat was shrink rapped for the winter. The rod holder was chalked and replaced and the fuel fill neck was removed cleans and rechalked. The liquid trip out this entire winter again while shrink rapped this year and still continues to drip. I have sent pictures to grady white and they are unable to tell me what it could be since the liquid is red. Has anyone ever experienced this I have no idea what to do next. Please any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
My only thought is if the hydraulic fluid used is aircraft grade which is red, and you nicked a line as the rod holder was removed. No help but check the location of the hydraulic lines.

Stephnic

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I will check to make sure. I think the hydraulic lines run down under the floor in the rigging tubes but it is worth checking. Thanks for the info

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Does your boat have the gunwale sink? Is it possible that during the winterization process, they ran a red colored antifreeze through the lines and out the faucet?

If this was the case, you may have a nicked line and still have the antifreeze inside.

If not this, then I'm stumped......

Stephnic

Reaction score
Model
Islander
No the only sinks are down in the cabin. It does have the shower on the transom but the hose for that run through the rigging tube. I think they do but I will be checking all of these suggestions Sunday when I go down to the boat. I will keep everyone up to date.

Doberman

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
One other thought, I have replaced my 268 Islanders floor panel as the plywood was saturated and it would ooze out a brownish red liquid. Replaced this with Coosa board. Anyway there may be a section of plywood along gunnel that has water coming in at screw hole, or seam. My water was coming from screwhoile around hatch, constantly exposed to water. Anyway just a thought given the similarity of color.

Stephnic

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The liquid stopped now. Not a drop with all the rain and washing the boat not a drop. And everyone wonders why I am bald. :bang