2006 222 Fisherman always need to use starboard trim tab

Hineser Out

Reaction score
My 2006 fisherman , that I bought last summer, always leans to port so I have to use the starboard tab to keep it level when running. It has a f225. I had a 2002 about 10 years ago with a 200 hpdi, never had to use the tabs. Can't figure it out. Everything looks good, tabs are both installed correctly and work properly. The boat sits perfectly level in the slip, as long as the motor is up straight. Any thoughts?
Anyone else have this issue?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hineser Out said:
My 2006 fisherman , that I bought last summer, always leans to port so I have to use the starboard tab to keep it level when running. It has a f225. I had a 2002 about 10 years ago with a 200 hpdi, never had to use the tabs. Can't figure it out. Everything looks good, tabs are both installed correctly and work properly. The boat sits perfectly level in the slip, as long as the motor is up straight. Any thoughts?
Anyone else have this issue?

FYI, if it is listing to port, you'd be using the port tab to pick up that side. But you'd be pressing the starboard button.

Having too much hull in the water can easily cause listing. Try trimming the OB up some more. Another thought is too much weight on the port side... batteries, ice, gear, etc. Is the bottom perfectly clean? A dirty bottom can do that, too.

What does "The boat sits perfectly level in the slip, as long as the motor is up straight" mean?

Hineser Out

Reaction score
Sits level in the slip with the motor straight up. Turn the motor to the side and it will obviously lean to that side. Possibly the motor is just too dang heavy. I was thinking of moving the batteries under the console. That would move 100 lbs off the transom and to the front. Wonder if anyone else has done this.
Would love to repower with a new 250, 50 lbs lighter and much more low end torque would turn it into
a rocket. All in all in my opinion the best 22 foot fishing boat out there.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My 226 does the same thing. I need to run three lights on the port actuator (right rocker switch) to level mine out with just me aboard. I contacted Grady when I first got the boat and after the usual "try trimming the engine up more" and "change the weight distribution", they begrudgingly acknowledged that they all do that.

It turns out that this is an issue with many deep V hulls running a single engine with a heavy high diameter propeller. I've seen the same thing with several of my friends boats of other makes. But it seems particularly extreme with the SV2 hull which only has running strakes at the forward end of the hull. The narrow beam of the 22' conformation seems to exacerbate the situation. I didn't notice the effect in a wider 23' Grady running a single 300 hp engine.

The physics behind the situation is that a clockwise rotating propeller produces more upward thrust on the starboard side than the port side. This tends to lift the starboard side at the transom, which must be compensated for by using the port tab.

I have a love-hate relationship with the SV2 hull design. While it rides a lot softer than the older hull design, it has very quirky ride and low speed handling characteristics. You need to keep tweaking the engine and tab settings to adjust for different sea conditions. It's almost as bad as a high performance hull like a Fountain.

Hineser Out

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I think it's the engine that's too heavy. Like I said I had a 2002 fisherman with a 200 hpdi that I sold ten years ago and I had to never use the tabs. It handled great. This boat handles great, tracks well, when trolling in calm seas you barely have to touch the steering wheel. Just needs tab to level out. I'm gonna move the batteries to the console, that's gotta help some.

Rustygaff

Reaction score
I have the same exact issue with my 255 Freedom. It also sits a little to the port while at the dock. Gave up trying to figure it out. A couple to 3 bars on the tab while under way straightens it out.

L.R.

Reaction score
Doc Stressor said:
My 226 does the same thing. I need to run three lights on the port actuator (right rocker switch) to level mine out with just me aboard. I contacted Grady when I first got the boat and after the usual "try trimming the engine up more" and "change the weight distribution", they begrudgingly acknowledged that they all do that.

It turns out that this is an issue with many deep V hulls running a single engine with a heavy high diameter propeller. I've seen the same thing with several of my friends boats of other makes. But it seems particularly extreme with the SV2 hull which only has running strakes at the forward end of the hull. The narrow beam of the 22' conformation seems to exacerbate the situation. I didn't notice the effect in a wider 23' Grady running a single 300 hp engine.

The physics behind the situation is that a clockwise rotating propeller produces more upward thrust on the starboard side than the port side. This tends to lift the starboard side at the transom, which must be compensated for by using the port tab.

I have a love-hate relationship with the SV2 hull design. While it rides a lot softer than the older hull design, it has very quirky ride and low speed handling characteristics. You need to keep tweaking the engine and tab settings to adjust for different sea conditions. It's almost as bad as a high performance hull like a Fountain.

Doc,You hit the Nail on the Head! Really have to Drive the Boat constantly. I love My 226,But My 20 ft. Hydra-Sport I sold seemed like it was on cruise control compared to My 226...

Old Cypress

Reaction score
My 05 222 w/250 does the same thing. I have to use the trim tab to balance the boat as well when running. When we run offshore I will balance the boat out heavy on the starboard side so that I don't use the trim tabs as much. Which means that the heavier people sit or stand on that side of the boat, as well as the water and drinks go in the storage locker on that side of the boat. I have had the boat for 8+years and have just learned to balance it out slightly heavier on that side to minimize the trim tab use. I used to worry about it, but now I am just happy to be in the boat with family and friends fishing and figure it is not worth the worry and just use the tabs.

Time and Tide

Reaction score
My 208 with hard top and 175 HPDI does the same thing. I bought her in November. I just installed Bennett M120's. I have about three led's lit before she is level. Only under throttle. She sits level while still.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have you tried adjusting the little fin under the ventilation plate on your motor (just above the prop). Not sure if it will do anything for this, but perhaps worth playing with as it's very easy to change.

Hineser Out

Reaction score
Yeah I tried adjusting the trim tab zinc but didn't help any. No big deal just use a little tab or if my big friends are on the boat make them stand on that side. I could be wrong but I swear the one I had 10 years ago with a 200 hpdi did not need any tab. Possible the weight of the 4 stroke hanging way off the back affects it.

aharri6

Reaction score
Here's the single best upgrade I ever made to my Grady 180 Fisherman: http://www.lectrotab.com/products/automatic-level-control.php
It auto levels your Bennett (or other) trim tabs. You keep everything Bennett but the dash rocker switches. It's got a GPS so it retracts the tabs when stopping, and remembers your level setting so when you go back out in 2 weeks (or whenever) it auto levels without having to reset it. Also, when turning the GPS recognizes the turn so it won't try to interfere with your banking in the turn. Pretty cool, well thought out device. So now when your kids and friends can't sit still while your cruising you don't have to keep adjusting your tabs. It does it all for you.