*Craigslist SCAM Alert* Haven't Heard of this Before

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I figured I would post this since I have not heard of this scam before and fell for it. They didn't get me for much, but I am more frustrated and embraced I even fell for it.

My father is selling his 2003 Wrangler and I am typically his "broker". I had the Jeep listed on a few sites and was contacted through craigslist saying someone was interested. Looking back it was all red flags, but I usually respond to everyone and as soon as someone says they will send a shipper etc I delete it, my theory is you never know who is a real buyer and has horrible grammar, especially since mine is less than desired.

We had an email chain going and the proposed "buyer" responded pretty timely. First red flag was lack of details about the Jeep itself, but he did have proper grammar and no spelling mistakes. He asked to setup a time to look at it and simply asked for a VIN report before he drove out. I said I would supply him with the VIN and he requested I run the report and send it to him.

He supplied a website that was not well done and was not a .com. I was out on the road and when I got home it was late. I looked up the supplied site and it was only $19.99 for a report and they took PayPal, harmless enough and I ran the report. I did get a report, the Jeep is clean anyways and no idea if this is an accurate description of that. I emailed the prospective buyer and then that next morning he "changed his mind" and is not coming to look.

I guess the scam is he gets a kickback from however many people he can funnel to a site like this. I saw the PayPal and as shady as the site seemed I trusted it for that. I did change my PayPal password and also called them to report the site. They were of little help, the PayPal guy was obviously reading from a script and not able to stray from it. I stated if I got an accurate report I am ok with everything, if not they should get PayPal removed from the site.

I am not overly concerned about the $20, but disappointed in myself for not recognizing all of the signs. I have a lot of craigslist experience and have bought and sold more than I can count and this is the first time I was "had"

I figured I would share.

Andrew

Greatty

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for sharing. With all the scams out there these days , there's always something new or you haven't heard of, sorry to hear about it. - Bob

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
It's amazing the ways they come up with to scam unsuspecting people. The one's, like you, who get nailed are the good, trusting people of the world. In order to avoid it all, you have to be always on your guard and never trust anyone and that is a very scary world indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I had the same thing happen selling my truck, but I didn't use the website. I don't want to cause you alarm, but you might want to consider closing that credit card account. I don't think it is a kickback program, but a fishing scam. Now that person has your cc info and can charge anything they want on it!

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I once had a coworker that would go around and borrow a dollar from people to buy gas and a six pack. He borrow a single dollar from various people rather than say 20 from one person because who is going to sweat getting paid back if it's only a dollar?
I'm thinking it's the same strategy here. You know you got took, but is it worth the effort and aggravation to go after only $20 ?
The thing I'm wondering about now is your vin number now sold to someone that will use it to rebadge a stolen jeep?
I also agree with this being a phishing scam. Review the info you gave them and call your bank to take appropriate action. We've all received replacement debit cards when business we've dealt with had security breaches. This is the same thing.

On another note I just had a telemarketer ring my phone. The caller ID showed a local number from my town. It was a home security service. I called the number back that had come up on the ID and got a "no longer in service". Wow
Gotta ask, if you start your sales call by misleading me into answering the phone with a lie, where's it going from here?
I guess this is the state of today's world we live in. :roll:

One last thing, we know about personal checks but never ever accept a bank check for a CL sale. If given a forgery you will be the one held liable when you try to cash or deposit it at the bank!
Forged bank checks are probably the biggest of all the CL SCAMS.

CL is cash only, meet at the post office or safe place and bring a friend transaction.
Mike