Bimini / Keys trip report

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Well I finally got my second new motor back on July 10. I have been in the Keys from July 19 to the 26th and then went to Bimini in the Bahamas from the 26th till today. Crossing both times we had a head wind of 10-15 knots and choppy seas of 2-3 with a 4 footer every now and again. Got to the heart of the gulf stream on the way there and it smoothed out. We have friends in Key Largo and we departed and return from/to Key Largo.

Speaking of Key Largo, I made an appointment to get my motor serviced for it's 20 hour service at Markeys Marine on Key Largo. I brought the boat in and in 2.5 hours the service was done. They were very nice people and their rates fair and the work was done right.

I did not have the smallest boat there. We saw guys in 20 foot center consoles making the trip over from Miami. Ran around the Bimini area with the kids. Snorkeled and fished. Caught a few 30 incher dolphin and enjoyed the water. It is a shark kind of place. We saw nurse sharks, reef sharks , lemon sharks and a tiger shark all while exploring the patchy islands and reef like areas. We stayed at Bimini Sands and would recommend it. Bimini is not the Abacos by a long shot,but the fishing and water are very nice. I would go back again.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for the report!! 8)

Big question is how'd the motor do? Worthy upgrade?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When are you headed back north? Travel safe - going to be a wet and windy couple days on the Peninsula.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Motor worked well. Glad I upgraded. I want to get a 4 blade prop for her. Brian, I am on my way. Departed Key Largo at 11 today. Stopped in St. Augustine. Trailer is performing very well with the Deesmax components. It has been rainy and breezy today. Funny how we departed and I saw a breezy Southwest winds which were part of the storm known as Emily today. Had that system developed 24 hours sooner I might still be in Bimini. Lol.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
Well I finally got my second new motor back on July 10. I have been in the Keys from July 19 to the 26th and then went to Bimini in the Bahamas from the 26th till today. Crossing both times we had a head wind of 10-15 knots and choppy seas of 2-3 with a 4 footer every now and again. Got to the heart of the gulf stream on the way there and it smoothed out. We have friends in Key Largo and we departed and return from/to Key Largo.

Speaking of Key Largo, I made an appointment to get my motor serviced for it's 20 hour service at Markeys Marine on Key Largo. I brought the boat in and in 2.5 hours the service was done. They were very nice people and their rates fair and the work was done right.

I did not have the smallest boat there. We saw guys in 20 foot center consoles making the trip over from Miami. Ran around the Bimini area with the kids. Snorkeled and fished. Caught a few 30 incher dolphin and enjoyed the water. It is a shark kind of place. We saw nurse sharks, reef sharks , lemon sharks and a tiger shark all while exploring the patchy islands and reef like areas. We stayed at Bimini Sands and would recommend it. Bimini is not the Abacos by a long shot,but the fishing and water are very nice. I would go back again.

Yes, the waters around Bimini are gin-clear and very beautiful, the Island offers lots of fun, the Fishing is GREAT, but it IS VERY Sharky!
Last year when we made the crossing my Son got surprised by a HUGE Hammerhead that was closely following him while he was snorkeling and hunting for Hogfish to spear....he got quickly back on the boat and we were both totally panicked for a minute or two when we could not locate his diving buddy who wandered off in pursuit of a fish....he finally surfaced a hundred yards away and we quickly drove over to get him out of the water.
Needless to say, we left the reef we were on and found another area to dive at (went to the Concrete Ship) while I sternly re-stated my rules for safe diving off my boat..."One guy goes down, the other guy stays on the surface and keeps his eyes on him till he comes up, or NO ONE DIVES AGAIN!

Back at the dock later, we were watching HUGE Bull Sharks come up and gobble our fish scraps as we cleaned our catch...
Not a place you would want to fall overboard!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
We saw a lemon shark on a reef. It was in 3-4 feet of water and was about 5 feet long. We saw a tiger shark on a reef in about 10 feet of water and a reef shark in about 4 feet of water on the front side of Turtle Rocks. There were plenty of nurse sharks. We were on the look out for bulls and hammerheads. I don't spear fish and if I did I am not sure I would do it in Bimini.

The very best water I have ever snorkeled in was in the Exumas, hands down. With that said Bimini is a lot cleaner than the Keys. I am tentatively planning another Bimini Trip next summer.

So, checking through customs they ask for a declared value of my boat. I am filling out this paperwork and I hear a lady declare the value of her boat, $3.2 million she rolls off the tongue. Here I am hoping one day to buy a Marlin or used Express 330 lol.

On a side note, I buddy boated with a guy who has a 27 footer glacier Bay Cat. The boat clearly is more roomier,but it's ride was not significantly better. My son rode over and back on it. He said it was not much smoother than our boat and was a wet ride. Anyway, the 228 is a nice 22 footer , for of course a 22 footer.