eyeing 235 but also looked at pursuit and edgewater

tellch00

Reaction score
looking at 235 Freedom so also took a look at pursuit's 23 DC as well as Edgewater 245CX. maybe it's me but there was one issue with the pursuit that eliminated it. The molding of the windshield is huge and the top of the molding is almost directly at eye level. I thought the visibility was just terrible. Others may not feel the same but just didn't feel comfortable.

The edgewater was very nice (as well as a foot longer) and visibility was great. They seem to build the boat with few options and pretty much loaded compared to GW which offers the options a la carte. The salesperson said MSRP on that particular boat was around 140 and sells for a bit under 130. The "bit under" is the big question LOL.

Anyone with experience with the EW?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Interesting;

Same thing happened to me:

I went aboard a fairly rare Chesapeake 29 in our Basin. Captain let me stand behind the helm and the window framing was right in my line of sight.

Deal breaker..The windshield will never move and I won't be getting any taller at 63.

Shame..neat boat, although I could never figure out why they tried it. Why not just buy a Marlin?

The rigs your considering are good quality boats. It'll come down to money & options.

Luck to "ya.

Rustygaff

Reaction score
All 3 lines you are looking at are considered upper tier. All are quality boats. Find the one which has curb appeal to you, layout, dealer support, with a price you can live with and pull the trigger.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Magicbill, that is why they invented phone books to help the line of sights . Lol

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hmm..Never thought of that.

A phone book is cheaper than a Marlin..

4yanks

Reaction score
I compared the Pursuit and the 235 as well. I did not look at the Edgewater. I liked both the Pursuit and the Grady. They were evenly matched pricewise. I went with the Grady because the appointments seemed to be of higher quality, the forward seating/casting area seemed more functional, and I liked the styling better. It didn't hurt that my wife insisted on the Grady. I have had it for 4 months and am glad I made the choice I did.

Reaction score
I've owned all three brands, each brand new. 2007 Pursuit 335, 2008 EdgeWater 188, 2014 EdgeWater 208, and currently a Grady White 232. Feel free to reach out.

All are top tier boats! Loved every one.

The Pursuit was the most beautiful, with the sweetest ride and entry. Put 1100 hours on it throughout Alaska. Wish Pursuit made a 26' offshore walk around.

The EdgWater has a great hull design. Took them regularly out 20 miles into the Pacific Ocean. Always made me smile. Ride like much bigger boats. I had a few design issues and customer service was very lacking. Never really felt EdgeWater loved their business like Pursuit and Grady. Not sure any of them actually are real boaters. But, for me, the hull design is number 1, by far. Loved the boats!

My New Grady 232. Put 250 hours on it this summer, much of it offshore. The Grady is a tank, in a positive sense. So solid and well built. It will last forever! It's layout is so thought out and right. Grady really cares and obviously they love boats. They care more about making the boat tough and right than making it pretty. A boater's boat. Not a boat show boat. This is the right fit for me. Pursuit has moved a bit to the sexy side. Grady's customer service is tops. Over the top! The absolute best. All my boats have had issues, no brain damage with Grady. My 232, doesn't have the sweet ride of the Pursuit and EdgeWater, but I think this is simply due to the width and length of the 232. The relatively short hull with wide beam is a trade off I anticipated. I accomidate with lots of engine trim and trim tab management. Also, I wish Grady would update a few things. It should have a composite windshield like Pursuit. I love my Grady! If I buy again, it will be likely be another Grady. But, I wouldn't hesitate with any of the three brands. Don't compromise on a second tier boat, you will be sorry. Rather go with an older boat.

Also, six Yamahas, 2,500 hours, never a single issue. Probably no Whaler in my future. Sad.

Catch & Fillet!