China yamaha dual binnacle controler 704 any good?

lime4x4

Reaction score
I have to replace my throttle and shift cables on my 86 24 offshore. Was thinking of also replacing the binnacle controller as well due to age and wear and tear. On ebay i can get new ones for around 300 bucks from china. Has anyone gotten one and if so how is it working?

seasick

Reaction score
lime4x4 said:
I have to replace my throttle and shift cables on my 86 24 offshore. Was thinking of also replacing the binnacle controller as well due to age and wear and tear. On ebay i can get new ones for around 300 bucks from china. Has anyone gotten one and if so how is it working?
I have no personal experience with a Chinese 704 but if I needed one, I wouldn't buy the Chinese made version based on my frequent experience with quality control issues with Chinese made products in general.

lime4x4

Reaction score
Unfortunatly everything is outsourced anymore. I could spend almost 700 bucks at the local dealer just to find out it's made in china also

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Don't know where its made, but this one says, Yamaha New OEM Dual Twin Engine Mount Binnacle Remote Control 704-48207-22-00, for $300.
"Brand new, genuine Yamaha Dual Twin Engine Mount Binnacle Remote Control. This is a factory original equipment accessory, not aftermarket."

seasick

Reaction score
glacierbaze said:
Don't know where its made, but this one says, Yamaha New OEM Dual Twin Engine Mount Binnacle Remote Control 704-48207-22-00, for $300.
"Brand new, genuine Yamaha Dual Twin Engine Mount Binnacle Remote Control. This is a factory original equipment accessory, not aftermarket."
After a quick search, I see several offerings from $290 to $390 on Amazon and Jet for so called OEM 704s. On Ebay I see a $150 offering for an 'OEM' China version but it is definitely not the same as the OEM. Is it any good?
I can't say but unless it came in a Yamaha package, I would be cautious.
As far as I can tell, the real 704 says made in Japan on the packaging.