192 tournament

b-dog

Reaction score
I going to look at a 1995 192 tournament. Looks nice but what are some things to look for. How to tell if the transom is solid? I have not seen in person one of these. I have seen a key west 19 dual console. How are these in comparison as for as size?

Opinions please

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
You may want to hire a surveyor. The aluminium strip or cap is the culprit for moisture issues. Check around the motor well . I had a 192 and for a 19 footer it is a big boat. Loved it but just wanted a bigger boat. I don't know how it compares to a Key West in size but I thought it was a dry ride and a very sea worthy boat. If I had a choice between the two and three Grady is sound, I get the Grady.

b-dog

Reaction score
Thanks. I am going to look at it Friday. Not sure if I can find a surveyor. I am going to check for rot in the transome. Any advice on that? I have had several boats and been around them my whole life but never been around any Grady white boats.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
If the boat is on a trailer or up on blocks, stand on the Cav plate and bounce up and down with all your weight on the motor.
If you see or can feel the transom flexing, the transom will probably need to be rebuilt.

Visually inspect the hull closely for cracks and tap the hull all around every 6 inches or so with a rubber mallet.
If you hear a different "hollow" sound in certain areas, the hull may be damaged.

b-dog

Reaction score
Thanks for the transome advice. I will do that. From the pictures it looks to be a very nice boat. Late 1990's 150 Yamaha. I hope that I is as nice when I go Friday

TonyD

Reaction score
I would definitely recommend a surveyor before you buy. You should be able to find one, try a google search in the area where the boat is. If you are buying from a marina or dealer make sure you bring in your own surveyor and that the surveyor is working for you.

That said, I thoroughly enjoy my 89' Tourney, going on 12 years now. In the next few years however, I will be upgrading to something bigger but that's only because I want go bigger. I have zero regrets with this boat. I re-powered her with a 150 4 stroke 2 years ago.

Tony D.