Newbie Question - Beeping when turning Battery off

mmacdona

Reaction score
First time boater, just purchased a 2005 Tournament 185 for the family. Hoping the forum can answer a couple of newbie questions.

The dealer advised to turn the battery selector switch to "Both" when starting the boat. I'm reading that's not correct, I should be alternating between battery 1 and 2, correct?

There are 3 beeps when I turn the battery selector to Off. What does that indicate?

All my instrument panel switches appear to not be working. Horn, wiper, etc. Although they did initially. Should I hit the red reset button on the breaker? Is that the first place to start?

Sorry - these might be obvious to some....just trying to figure things out.

Thanks!

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You are correct. Don't run the engine with the switch in the "both" position unless you have a situation where either battery is not strong enough to start the engine by itself. Alternate the batteries when starting. That way if you have a battery that is going bad, you'll know about it. A battery isolator or an ACR will prevent a bad battery from discharging a good one.

As for the beeps, where are they coming from? You should have your ignition switch turned off before turning off the battery switch.