Potential Purchase Advice

wtpgc

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a newbie but long time admirer of GW boats. Admittedly, though, my knowledge of them is very limited. So I seek some assistance in a possible purchase.

I'm looking at a late 80's sailfish 25 with the bracket. I'm aware that this is before the change to the SeaV2 hull. Current observations from discussions with the owner and seeing it in person:

It has newer fuel tanks (I've confirmed they're done right)
Significant amounts of rewiring, the terminal connections are heat shrinked and look good (would plan on re-wiring anyway to meet my standards)
2000-era 2-strokes that have been rebuilt (would consider repower at some point in the future)
Some fiberglass repair work has been performed on the stringers and cabin. I have some experience in boat-building and the glass work looks good.
The transom bulkhead has been reworked as well and looks good.
Shower/kitchen/head has been removed and reworked to have just the potty
Floor is not spongey or soft anywhere that I checked
All systems work except for the raw water washdown pump

Overall, its a boat that shows it age but appears to be fairly well maintained. I have not yet checked the transom or taken it for a spin.

The boat will be used for moderate offshore fishing, probably not to exceed 50 miles. I've read that this is a pounding, harsh riding, wet boat. None of those things are appealing. I'm not into speed, but the family needs to be comfortable if I expect them to go with me. Fuel consumption meters are showing approximately 1.2 MPG.
What else should I be looking for on this era of boat? Also, I've read some negative comments on another board regarding repowering with 4-strokes due to the weight. Going from the current motors to newer 4-stroke yammies would likely yield about 300 pounds increase in the overall weight.

Thanks in advance for your help.

JeffN

Reaction score
I have an '83 254 with a sterndrive. Don't know when the 25 went to the newer hull but I think there are some threads/posts here that break it down by years. Check that transom! I don't find mine harsh riding or wet. Pounding not so much either I just adjust trim and speed for conditions. Keep in mind they are a wide boat at 9'6" so they won't ride as well as a narrower boat of the same length. I have always found the Sailfish to be a large boat for a 25 footer YMMV. Have them put it in the water (if it isn't already) and take it for a test ride then you will know for sure. Have been out in some really crappy days and always felt confident. As to the repower with heavier 4 strokes I understand you can call Grady for some input from them.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 1989 GW Sailfish that originally had two 1989 Johnson 200 HP two strokes on a Grady factory bracket. In 2004, I pulled off the old Grady bracket and installed a new larger (and lighter) Armstrong bracket along with a pair of Yamaha F200 3.3L V6 four-stroke outboards. I made the Armstrong bracket as large and as deep as possible to provide extra buoyancy to counteract for the additional weight of the four stroke outboards. The old Johnson two strokes weighed about 450 lbs. each and the new Yamaha V-6 four strokes weighed about 600 lbs. each. So that added an additional 150 lbs. per engine to the back of the boat. So I made sure that the new Armstrong bracket provided at least 300 lbs. of additional buoyancy due to the larger volume of water it displaced. After repowering, the boat sits in the water EXACTLY where it sat before the repower.

Regarding the ride of a late 1980’s Sailfish, all I can tell you is that I have owned this boat for 20 years and the thing is a tank. Cuts through the chop just fine . . .even at a cruising speed of 30 mph . . . . and I hardly ever get any spray on the windshield. I know it doesn't have the newer SeaV2 hull . . . but it does have 20 degrees of deadrise at the stern . . . so its a fairly deep-vee hull.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
8925400 said:
I have a 1989 GW Sailfish that originally had two 1989 Johnson 200 HP two strokes on a Grady factory bracket. In 2004, I pulled off the old Grady bracket and installed a new larger (and lighter) Armstrong bracket along with a pair of Yamaha F200 3.3L V6 four-stroke outboards. I made the Armstrong bracket as large and as deep as possible to provide extra buoyancy to counteract for the additional weight of the four stroke outboards. The old Johnson two strokes weighed about 450 lbs. each and the new Yamaha V-6 four strokes weighed about 600 lbs. each. So that added an additional 150 lbs. per engine to the back of the boat. So I made sure that the new Armstrong bracket provided at least 300 lbs. of additional buoyancy due to the larger volume of water it displaced. After repowering, the boat sits in the water EXACTLY where it sat before the repower.

Regarding the ride of a late 1980’s Sailfish, all I can tell you is that I have owned this boat for 20 years and the thing is a tank. Cuts through the chop just fine . . .even at a cruising speed of 30 mph . . . . and I hardly ever get any spray on the windshield. I know it doesn't have the newer SeaV2 hull . . . but it does have 20 degrees of deadrise at the stern . . . so its a fairly deep-vee hull.

X2. agree 100% with going to a flotation bracket, makes a world of difference in the ride too.

My 88 Trophy Pro has the same hull. I've owned mine for almost 30 years (running 4 sets of motors on it) and will keep it forever because it is the perfect boat for me and IT IS A TANK. The boat will absorb a lot more punishment than you will.

When its really rough out there you need to forget about fuel efficiency (assuming you are not in danger of running out of gas!) and trim your boat for comfort.
Just drop your tabs, tuck your motors under as far as they will go and adjust your throttles to hold plane at the minimum speed and you will be comfortable and safe cruising in the worst sea conditions you are likely to encounter.

Fishtales

Reaction score
My advice is to get a survey completed. You want to know before you buy what you are getting into.