new owner grady 265 express

bac0701

Reaction score
proud new owner of a 2001 grady 265 express with twin HPDI 200's. very exited. A little backround. I'm located in NJ. I originally have been kayak fishing for a number of years then moved to an older 22ft aqua sport that served me well. I bought a project boat that Ive been chipping away at, an older 1984 whaler revenge cuddy. Its been a gut job that I've done a lot on. Sold my aqua sport in the spring thinking id have the whaler done but it wasn't the case. I work long hours and at its tuff at times to get stuff done. Well Ive been going nuts to get back in the water and was about to buy a boat down the street that i love, but i came across an awesome deal on the grady. I loved seeing these att the docks and online but never thought id have the opportunity to buy. I spent a more then I wanted but id end up wanting to move up in a year or two from the whaler so I'm glad I did it. She's beautiful. Runs awesome, low hours. Only 2-3 things that needed to be addressed.

Motors- low hours, however both of the main oil tank caps/sender have some cracking and one was leaking oil when trimmed up. He zip tied. I adjusted the one today and added a zip and it seems to be alright after just going down there. On the other motor, when driving the boat to my dock the oil alarm went off. After some trouble shooting and talking to a friend who is a mechanic I made it back and the main oil tank isn't filling from the full reserve tank. So I'm thinking either filter on the remote tank or the pump. To access the tank I'm guessing I need to pull the hatch ? There wasnt much room at all to work in those plates.

Next issue was the original raytheon ff/gps. transducer wasn't working (which he told me prior to buying) so he assumed i needed a new unit. When we water tested the entire unit just went out. Im guessing it blew a fuse. Im trying to locate and access the fuse panel to check.

Pics to follow with the new battle wagon ! Im exited to begin venturing offshore with buddies and have some shelter in the northeast for the bass/tog bite in the fall/winter.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Congrats on your new boat! What inlet do you sail out of?

Only advice I'd like to give you is that if the existing 2001 electronics are shot, invest some money in new state of the art systems. The differences are night and day.
If you do go for new, I would recommend Garmin. Easy to use intuitive controls, and great detail on their fishfinder/chartplotter/radar combo units.

While you are at it, put in a new Garmin Autopilot unit.....best upgrade you can make!
Allows you to maximize the pleasure you get out of boating and fishing by allowing you to go out whenever you want. When it's a perfect flat calm day and your buddies can't make it, you can still go Tuna trolling offshore. The autopilot keeps your boat trolling in the same direction while you can work the cockpit.

It will take the stress out of those long offshore runs you plan to take with your buddies, especially when leaving at O Dark Thirty...just keep your eyes on the Radar and whats in the water ahead and around you without having to also worry about what the compass says.
Autopilot also keeps your boat on course and saves fuel through eliminating "snaking" and going off course while going to a waypoint.

And for those Fall Striper trips, just engage the zig zig feature on the autopilot...deadly when slow trolling bunker spoons or mojos!

Sketchywind

Reaction score
Congratulations on new to you, Grady 265. I love my 2001 Grady 265 with 200 HPDI.
The GG members have helped me many times.
When the main oil tank doesn't fill after trying the manual fill switch, look at the connections on the remote oil tank. Mine were corroded and fell apart so no spark. You can use a basic multimeter to see if you get power to remote oil tank motors. Replace or clean the remote filters while your down there. Gotta break open that rear hatch to get the remote tanks out. After you get the hatch open, Lester for the motor when using the manual fill switch. If not, motor or connection bad. If yes, check filter. Really easy fix when the oil doesn't fill the main tank.
Good luck!

bac0701

Reaction score
thanks guys. It actually has an older ray marine auto pilot that works. I'm ordering the motor tomorrow, will see if i can find one locally first though. As for electronics. I actually just remembered I have a Lawrence hds 7 gen 3 with structure scan. I was going to install it on my whaler before I sell. I think i will keep it and put it on this for the time being. Then ill save for a big bundle and maybe upgrade this winter or next.