Boarding ladder extension?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The Voyager vintage boats do not have the telescopic ladders like the newer models. The ladder is a little on the short side for boarding from the water. Does any extension option exist?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm not sure of how the ladder is setup on your boat, but if you google "boat ladder extension", a number of them come up. There was one I used many years ago that was essentially 3" wide planks of starboard - two vertical ones with a cut-out in them to hook/hang on the lowest rung, then a horizontal step (or two, if I remember correctly). I've also done a quick DIY in the past - an old winch strap that I tied hooks into, after first threading it through a 2"x12" piece PVC pipe to be used as the step.

One note for anything that is simply hooked onto the lowest rung of your existing ladder: as you put your weight on it, it will swing forward and requires a decent amount of arm and core strength to keep yourself vertical. If you find an extension that attaches higher, then uses solid vertical legs that leverage against the lowest rung, that will keep it from swinging under. I don't think it would too hard to do a DIY with PVC... maybe Sch. 80 for good measure.

Another thought... new ladders aren't all that expensive - maybe just find a new one that is telescoping.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The ladder on the boat is designed to fold into a molded recess in the deck. No other ladder will do the same.
I will likely make something, but thought I would at least ask to see if some other factory like option exists.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Oh, I see. Yeah, that limits what you can replace it with... unless you just cover the entire cutout portion with a large square of 1/4" or 3/8" starboard (basically, make the whole area flat and level), then mount a new ladder to that. Nicely cut with clean, beveled/rounded edges and finishing washers... it could actually look quite nice. You can even get starboard (or other brands) with a non-skid finish.

Is the existing "cutout area" of proper size where a new, telescoping ladder would fit into the cutout? Sort of a long shot, but maybe checkout some ladders and their dimensions compared to your cutout area.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
family affair said:
The ladder on the boat is designed to fold into a molded recess in the deck. No other ladder will do the same.
I will likely make something, but thought I would at least ask to see if some other factory like option exists.

How big is the molded cutout? I'm looking at a boat in the store now that the cutout is 4 3/4" deep,front to back, 12 1/4" wide where the steps lay, a 3 step telescoping lader. The arms are 10" on center. First non telescoping step is 11 1/4" in from the fold. Folded ladder is 14 1/2" long and 11 1/2" wide overall stowed. Garelick part # 19616-61, for 3 step version. 2 step version, #19615-61, is an inch shorter in stowed position.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Trust me, the only thing that fits in the cut-out is the original ladder.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had similar issue when I got my model. Heck, could not even get into the boat at a gas station, so had to climb up the front winch post and pull myself up to fill it up!
Fortunately, I had the full swim platform over the bracket and was able to purchase the 3 rung extendable model and it works like a charm. The 4 rung wasn't necessary for me.

In your case, I think I would make up some pieces of starboard and fill in the inlays where your existing ladder is recessed into, then you might find that you don't need to cover with a single piece if the new ladder mounts can fit properly. Will take some trial and error for sure. But in the end, you control the length of ladder you want to purchase and install.

You can check the Windline site and they have different sizes: https://windline.com/index.php?route=pr ... path=59_66