Freshwater Flushing

Hulagirl

Reaction score
I have a 2002 F200. I have noticed when I flush the motor with the freshwater attachment, I am not getting any water thought the pee-hole.
I know it used to come out.. Any advice on how to troubleshoot.. Thanks Arthur

Hulagirl

Reaction score
Dennis,
Yes. Its does pee when the engine is running. Thank you. Arthur

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just a side note here, Arthur... the main reason for having a telltale is simply to let us know that the impeller is pumping water up the powerhead. It really has nothing to do with indicating/not indicating any kind of overheating. Meaning, the engine can overheat with a perfect pee stream and the engine can also run perfect with no pee stream at all.

So, what might be happening here is that there is a slight blockage and the hose is not strong enough to force water through. Or, maybe the hose volume/pressure is different than before. If the engine is at a different tilt level, that might play into this, as well. I'd keep an eye on it, but I wouldn't worry about it. Some engine pee while on the garden hose flush attachment, some don't. I've seen some engine pee sometimes, and not other times. Water will follow the path of least resistance, and with the volume of water limited because it's only the amount through a hose, it might be flowing easier through the block, then the small orifices for the pee hole passage. The most important thing is that it's peeing while in the water. But, again, just keep an eye on it for now.

Does it pee on muffs?

Hulagirl

Reaction score
I was trying to backflush both the pee hole line to see if there was any blockage. There is water coming out of the pee hole when I ran on the earmuffs. I also removed one of the anodes in the block and it hardly had any build up on them (religiously flush with Salt Away). Trying tp find where the tube from the pee hole is coming from.
Thank you,

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you've got it coming out while on the muffs, then that would lead me to let it be even more. But, yeah, if you wanted to do a little exploratory messin' 'round, then it sounds like the blockage is likely in the garden hose fitting or it's hose. I'd start there, as opposed to the pee hose.

Hulagirl

Reaction score
The water enters the hose fitting and there is no blockage there. It goes up between the cylinders and cant see from there. I don't know where the exit is where it leads to the pee hole. I guess ill look again.. Thanks,

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have two 2004 Yamaha V6 F200's on my boat. For the last 13 years, when I flush using the hose flushing attachment, I don't get water out of the pee hole. But when I run the engines in the water, cooling water comes out of the pee hole just fine. It's just an quirk with these engines. Don't worry about it.

Never had a cooling problem. I religiously flush my engines after every use and change my water pumps every three years.

Hulagirl

Reaction score
Thank you for the response.. I had my anodes in the block and the thermostats replaced. I found both my thermostats was corroded open about a 1/8". I replaced and now when I flush the motor, the water comes out of the pee hole..

Fishtales

Reaction score
I get it out of the pee hole when I flush. I'm guessing your water pressure isn't that strong. I'd try to find a water like with strong pressure.

Hulagirl

Reaction score
Fishtales,
Thanks for the response.. The water pressure was good. It was the two thermostats that were corroded in the open position. Once I replaced those the water came out of the pee hole when flushing with the attachment.
I guess with both thermostats open the water could not build up enough backpressure to flush through the pee hole..
Thanks again,

seasick

Reaction score
Hulagirl said:
Fishtales,
Thanks for the response.. The water pressure was good. It was the two thermostats that were corroded in the open position. Once I replaced those the water came out of the pee hole when flushing with the attachment.
I guess with both thermostats open the water could not build up enough backpressure to flush through the pee hole..
Thanks again,

How long did it take for the idle speed to come down to spec. If both t-stats were open, you may have been able to notice the difference. Did the motor run normally or was it a bit rough? Depending on the load and the outside water temperature, the motor may not have warmed up to normal running temps.
Just curious.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Glad to see you found the cause. I do my tstats every 3 years and never had any issues FWIW...

Hulagirl

Reaction score
I did not have any issues with the idle or overheating even when running. I guess the thermostat was corroded open enough to let water pass.
Thanks.