Locking fuel cap

capt1947

Reaction score
Hi,
I have the need for a locking gas cap for my 95 223 Tournament. Several of my marina neighbors have been hit in the last few weeks.
Any suggestions based on experience and use will be appreciated.
Thanks,
capt1947

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Grady used an odd size for the fuel fill. I found that out when I went to replace all my lines. I ended up cleaning up and reusing the original unit.
I might suggest mounting a Stainless hasp. Use a non swivel loop end. The caps are nylon plastic so drill the four bolt holes through the cap to attach the loop end with stainless bolts and nylon stop nuts(that won't back out). When the hasp is closed over it you can secure it with a padlock. A side benefit is the loop would make it easier to remove the cap when you want to fuel up.
It could be pried up but it might slow an unprepared thief enough that he'd pass your boat up for an easier target.
It's a little redneck but it's an idea and at least get the wheels turning to come up with a clever solution.
Mike
c99e31c4-d5b1-4697-a2ab-94d24d920f29_400_grande.jpeg

5PCS-3inch-Cabinet-Boxes-Lock-Catch-Locks-font-b-Hasp-b-font-SUS304-font-b-Stainless.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Back when gas was hitting $4 - $5 around here, I remember there being a big demand for something like this. If I remember correctly, Perko makes an "insert" that is only removable with a key. Meaning, you still retain your existing deck plate and cap - this sticks down into the neck of the fill. I don't know if they still do, nor if there are any other brands of this, but check out (if they still make it) this Perko thing.

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
capt1947 said:
Hi,
I have the need for a locking gas cap for my 95 223 Tournament. Several of my marina neighbors have been hit in the last few weeks.
Any suggestions based on experience and use will be appreciated.
Thanks,
capt1947

This is what I used when I had an issue with a disgruntled used boat buyer attempting to do damage to my boat. Needless to say my fuel inlets are Perko and was a direct fit

http://www.iboats.com/Locking-Insert-fo ... gKcOvD_BwE

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I like your idea better.
Gotta ask though...
You didn't have any issue with the cap not fitting tight engine to seal out water with that in place?
I assume it can fall down into the filler hose right?

Mike

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Lt.Mike said:
I like your idea better.
Gotta ask though...
You didn't have any issue with the cap not fitting tight engine to seal out water with that in place?
I assume it can fall down into the filler hose right?

Mike

The locking device is designed to fit into the fuel filler with a tab that locks into
the fuel filler - without key no way to bypass the lock - the parts have been designed to be compatible - it's a Perko part & I believe it only works with Perko fillers

Water has not been an issue & I have been using them for six years

Fishtales

Reaction score