226 Seafarer Prop.Tests....

L.R.

Reaction score
A little background...Have a 2005 226 Seafarer with a Hard Top,Enclosure..Running same year F-225 ...First got the Boat about 3 yrs. ago and it had the Yamaha Saltwater series 2 prop. on it..It ran o.k.But I'm all about maximizing performance...Had the Exhaust done on the Engine as soon as I got it [185hrs.!!] It was just starting to show some white spots.Had My Guy just take the complete Engine off and keep it for the Winter .Put the Engine back on....BUT,raised it all the way up!

Slapped a Mercury Rev-4 on it as I have used these before and really like them.They like to run high and bite...Top end with about 80 gallons of Fuel ,Enclosure on I was seeing in perfect conditions right around 43mph.Most any day I could get 42 mph...My cruise speed was higher at the same rpm then with the Yamaha prop...Could get it to 5500 rpm and then it was like hitting a wall,had to trim it up until I could reach 6000 rpm..

Tried a Mercury Mirage plus next...Pretty much the same as the Rev-4,except I lost a little cruise speed at same rpms. Rev-4 went back on..

Just got a Mercury Enertia and tried it only for about 45 mins. the other day...Gotta tell ya',When I got it,I didn't think it would stay hooked up due to the lack of cup compared to the Rev-4..Remember...Engine is raised as high as it can go...The Enertia does not have the Stern lift the other 2 Mercury props. had and I wanted something with less stern lift to try...Top end the other day going with the tide,80 gallons of Fuel,front part of Enclosure up...44.3 mph!! 43.5 mph against the Tide.. I was impressed! I did lose about 2 mph. at cruise though.The Engine even sounds alot happier,not as stressed as the other Mercury props..They ALL have been 17 inch pitch props also...

The Enertia is smoother running,still bites good,The Boat even rides better,smoother with less stern lift. I attribute that to having all that weight of the Cuddy up front.. Thought this might help some of You Guy's propping Your Boats....

mhinch

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, did you have any prop chatter with the Yamaha prop? That's what I have now and it noticeably chatters. I'm in a 2003 Fisherman 222 with a F225 of the same year.

L.R.

Reaction score
Had some with the Rev-4.They are heavy props. Really didn't have the Yamaha prop. on long at all.So I really don't remember if it did or not.