HELP Please - Advice on which of these boats to buy

EZZ70

Reaction score
Hey people, just asking for a bit of advice and help to compare these boats which are up for sale :bang . I don't know Grady all that well or which would keep its resale value and/or which one other people looking to buy would rather have, just in case I had to unload it. I am leaning towards the last one listed, as it seems to be taken care of so much more than the others but I also like the hard top even though the engine looks rough. Please help me out, thank you in advance and appreciate your time!

Boat Purpose: To be a daily boater for my wife and I, I enjoy just cruising around and plan on doing a bit of local fishing & crab, nothing too far offshore but I am thinking a radar in the future. It may also be used on the lakes in the interior BC but primarily around Victoria and Vancouver. It also has to be easily towable, so with that being said only one boat has the trailer included but I guess I can pickup a trailer easily enough.

1. https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/6265882486.html
2. https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/ ... 52000.html
3. https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/boa ... 64381.html

All the boats have 150HP, isn't this a tad light for this boat? I can't afford to repower any time soon so be mindful when making your suggestion...Thx

:praise

seasick

Reaction score
It is impossible to pick one if any since you can't tell condition from a listing. That said, note that all are older hulls, pre Sea V2 and that means the ride probably would be rougher and wetter.
I have a similar sized Grady with the SX150 motor and there is no way that I can get 3 mpg at cruise. My overall performance is more like 1.2 nmpg for my typical kind of boating.
150 hp in a 2 stroke is fine for those boats unless they have a hardtop.

You should be able to find 20 foot Gradys in the early 2000 model years for anywhere between $15,000 and $19,000 but once again it is difficult to compare since condition and options make a big difference. Buying new side curtains and rear panel could cost $3,000 or more. A trailer new could set you back $3,000 to $4,000. The electronics could be great and up to date or they could be outdated and worthless.
Regardless of what you decide, it is critical that you get a marine survey since there are many things that could be expensive problems that you may not see.
My advice is to look at a few offerings in person just to get an idea of what the differences in condition can be. As I often state, the general condition of maintenance of a used boat can tell a lot about how the boat was cared for. If the boat looks too good, that can be a red flag too since it makes it harder to tell the actual condition and maintenance and it may have been detailed to cover up issues.

Good luck

EZZ70

Reaction score
Thank you seasick, appreciate it, some good advice :goodjob

I am on a limited budget which is why I am considering these boats (I need to be as close to $10,000 as possible). Do you guys think the asking price is reasonable or should I negotiate? Again I am considering https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/boa ... 64381.html for the simple reason, he has service records and an repower in 1997, the boat looks clean and is getting it detailed as we speak etc...

Boat number 1. will come down to $8000 (perhaps more), I sourced out a used trailer for $1500.00
Boat number 3. will come down to $10,500 only!
Boat number 2. seems to think he has a GOLD mine

seasick

Reaction score
It sounds good but you can't really tell from just a listing. Using my normal NY suspicious of everything approach, I have a concern about the following: The listing sounds like an ad but that is fairly common. Yes the SX150 is one of the most reliable motors built but how this particular one was treated is more important. There are no photos of the cabin, front deck or trailer. The thing that worried me the most is the statement that the boat is being detailed right now. Why would that be necessary if the boat is in really good condition? If you were going to detail it, you would think that you would do that before listing it. I wonder if the seller is having a hard time selling. Who knows.
These hulls are prone to transom rot and that condition may not be obvious unless it is really bad. A surveyor using a moisture meter will check the entire hull and deck panels for moisture problems.
Prices are always negotiable but you need ammunition to do so: Compare similar boats and remember that you are seeing asking prices not selling pricing. I don't know how storage works where that boat is but on my side of the country, folks pay for summer storage/dockage and winter storage. Since they don't want to pay for winter storage it is easier for the buyer to negotiate this late in the summer. Once winter fees are paid, the seller has less incentive to negotiate until spring when demand is better.
The asking price considering the trailer and instrumentation is in the ballpark but not if there are major issues with the hull or mechanicals.

I don't recommend that anyone buy a boat sight unseen and without a sea trial. In some cases, a good certified marine surveyor can take a look and a sea trial and advise you even if you can't get to the boat.
If the boat is in the water, you can't do a thorough survey without hauling it out and checking the hull, fittings, running gear if any, etc. It is customary for the buyer to pay for the haul and refloat if there are costs involved.

Trailers rot from the inside out. It can be hard to determine the condition of a used trailer. Again, a surveyor can made an educated assessment of a trailer's condition. You can tap the cross-members and main rails with a small hammer to listen for 'soft' spots.

If you are new at boating, try to get a friend who has experience help you look at what's out there.

Again, good luck and don't get your heart set on one specific boat!

seasick

Reaction score
One more thing to be aware of. if you make an offer, you need an agreement that the final sale is subject to a survey and that you have the right to walk away if you decide to. You may or may not get your deposit back so keep that as small a possible until a 'formal' sale takes place with a bill of sale document.
If you try to negotiate and you get the " There are several other interested people who want this boat" that is a red flag. Don't get pressured into agreeing to a sale for fear of losing the deal. That's my NY talking again:)

EZZ70

Reaction score
Thank you sooo much once again for all your input, this really means allot to me! Your right I should not be in a panic and jump on the first one that comes along :hmm . Eventually I am looking to move up into a 1993'ish 226 Seafarer... :D