Repowering 88' 24' offshore

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Currently running a 1988 24' offshore with an open transom powered by a 2007 225 etec. Love this motor and it has ran flawless for the most part for the 3 seasons I've owned it. It does however have ~ 750 hours on it and although I'm confident in running the boat, I'd rather sell it while it's running good and repower the boat.

It's got a windlass, electronic head, new fuel tank, and new electronics. I put a lot of sweat equity into the boat to set it up right and I feel it's worth a repower.

I feel I could get 6500-7500 for my motor with the rigging? Looking to replace it with a 250 Yamaha 4 stroke. I realize they weigh ~100 or so more pounds and I might have to possibly raise the scuppers. I was planning on rebuilding the transom before putting the new motor on. I know for sure it's a bit water logged and I'd like to close It in more so it's not as wide open. Any thought, info, or advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Jason

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I understand your mind set about having the boat "the way you want it", Jason. I'm in a similar situation with my Offshore. Now, this is of course just my opinion, but I don't think I would even enter to my mind to replace an engine with only 750 hours on it. If it's been cared for, which I'm sure you have, then that really isn't all that many hours at all. Think about fishing charters - they run engines into the thousands (plural) on a regular basis.

How many hours do you anticipate putting on it per year? If I remember correctly, you've got a business going and probably don't have time to boat as much as you would like... which is the case for most of us!

Yes, there's something to be said for trading an engine earlier to get a little more out of it. But look at it this way... Let's say you can get $7K for it now. 5-7 years from now it might be worth, what, $4K? I think that's a very safe estimate? How much is a new 4-stroke... $17K? That's a lot of money to spend when you have a perfectly fine engine with lot's of life left in it. Plus, a lot can happen in 5-7 years - who knows, you might be into a bigger boat by then. Bu, hey, as I said, that's just my opinion!

With the scuppers, yes, the weight might push them a little below the water line. I don't think these scuppers where are that high to start with - but that's more of a function of the floor height. You could raise them a little bit (although there's not a whole lot of height to go), but the higher you go, the less effective the drainage will be since you get less "gravity" flow (that's a technical term, in case you didn't know :) ).

My 250 2-stroke is on a bracket and the waterline is just barely touching the bottom of the scupper opening - maybe a 1/2" over. But it's really no big deal - it doesn't realistically affect their function. The only "issue" is that you can get growth inside them. I just antifoul the inside and that has seemed to work. But, thinking back, before I AF'd the inside, I really only ever got growth/muscles around the opening - maybe an inch inside.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
The new 4.2 Yamaha’s 225-300 hp weigh 562 lbs!!! That’s only 38 more pounds than my etec. I think with that little of a difference raising the scuppers aren’t necessary.