Grady 232 on trailer height

mheltunen

Reaction score
Hello everyone and thanks for the adding me to the "club". I recently sold my proline 231 and will be in the market next spring/summer for either a 232 or a 228. My question is how tall does a 232 sit on a trailer when equipped with a hardtop and possibly a radar dome. My garage/shop at home has a 12' door and whatever I model I chose must fit inside or some extensive modifications would be necessary. Also if any of you have some leads on either models which may be on the market next spring please let me know. My budget will be around the 20K point but may go a bit higher for the right boat. Preferably no older than 1995. Any leads are appreciated , Thanks!

seasick

Reaction score
This is tough to answer. The max height deepens on a lot of things that can vary such as the hardtop height and the radar dome size. In addition different trailers will cradle the hull at different heights. Bunk vs rollers make a difference also as does the trailer cross member configuration. If you have curved cross members, it can be possible to adjust bunks to make the hull sit lower. Roller trailers may not afford the option of lowering the load. Take a look at the real clearance with the garage door open since depending on factors like opener and positioning of tracks, the ground clearance could be less that the door height.
On my boat which is smaller in length and on a roller trailer, the top of the windshield is about 8 1/2 feet off the ground level. I never measured exactly but to that number you would have to add the additional height of the top and top equipment above the top of the windshield.

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
While I haven't actually measured mine, it was about even with a semi trailer that was either 13'1 or 13'4. That's with a roller trailer with springs and radar on hardtop.

mheltunen

Reaction score
I suspect I may be upset that I went with the 14' walls instead of the 16' :bang

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a 232 w/trailer and I have measured it.

With a GPS antenna and hardtop sitting on a bunk trailer mine came to 12' 6"

I do not have a radar dome, so I can't help there, but if you can keep the overall height around 12' 5"-6" you can get it in your garage. Simply get a drop hitch that lowers the ball hitch close to the ground, therefore dropping the bow and it should go. (I had one custom welded for a Seafarer trailer I had years ago.) Have a friend aboard the boat as you back it in for the first time, checking, as it will be tight.

Or..find a tractor with a hydraulic hitch attachment that you can lower the front of the trailer almost to the ground.

Either of these alternatives will be easier than a remodel on your garage. My 232 sits pretty high on my trailer. It is really heavy duty with 7k axles and I doubt your 232 will be any higher than 12' 6" except for the possibility of the radar dome. That is the unknown..

It can work..

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You mentioned a 228 as well. Just measured mine on a Loadmaster bunk trailer with torsion axles and 14" tires. To the top of VHF antenna mounts which are on the hump, I'm 11' 2". If you go with radar, you'll have to factor in the dome height.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I think Denko's estimate is close; With a radar dome, mine would be a little over 13'.

I know it sounds a little out-of-the-box, but think about the tractor idea.

You obviously borrow one before you commit to make sure it does snake the boat in.

A used John Deere with a 3-point hitch assembly will work. Bolt a 2-5/16 ball onto the attachment and you can raise/lower the tongue from the drivers seat.

I would rather have an extra tractor than rebuild the garage.

Then there's the smaller boat theory, but that doesn't sound like much fun.

Yes, it's a little extreme, but it may work. I had to get a 22 Seafarer into a small barn and had a drop hitch made for my truck, as mentioned in my previous post.

Good Luck..

mheltunen

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I do own a tractor (newholland 33hp) so this may be a good option. I had some feedback from another forum and had some measurements ranging from 11'4" to 13' so when the time comes when I do indeed find a boat that I'm interested in purchasing the height may become a determining factor. I am a welder/fabricator by trade so perhaps some slight modifications to the future trailer may be an option as well. In regards to the radar dome I'm sure I can come up with some type of quick release mechanism that would allow me to remove it from the top while in storage. In the past all of my boats have been trailerable and I like to leave them inside when not in use. It sure keeps a boat clean and shiny when she's not in the elements everyday.

mhinch

Reaction score
http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-elec ... ect.html#b

Look at the 4th post in this thread. I was going to do this to my F26 just to be "legal" to tow it on the road.

These are simple, straight forward solutions and much cheaper than a tractor. But hey, any excuse to put a 'lil JD green in the garage can't be all that bad!

mheltunen

Reaction score
CleanupRequired said:
My 232 reaches 12'8" to the top of the radar dome sitting on the trailer.

Thanks for measuring. If possible could you check what the highest point is if the radar dome was removed? I may have to consider fabbing a quick release for the radar dome if I indeed decide to go this route.

Thanks