Transom Rebuild - 1984 25' Sailfish/1999 200 Suzuki OB

jwsonas

Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing this boat, appears in great shape: All wood redone, deck and stringers replaced 5 yrs ago, gas tanks replaced recently along with fuel lines, new electronics panel, etc., price is a steal. It has twin 200hp 1999 2-Stroke Suzuki's. This boat is a classic, and shows nicely, very solid except for the transom, apparently.

Does anybody have any experience with a transom rebuild, cost, time, etc. Just trying to determine if it's worth it.

Secondly, anybody have experience with this model outboard? I currently own a 1999 Yamaha 2 stroke 250 OX66 on my 24 Offshore and I love it, great engine. Generally similar?

I'd love input on either of these items, thank you greatly in advance! :hmm

UCPA111

Reaction score
Bought a nice 1983 seafarer and the transom is wet. I figured it would need replaced when I purchased it, so I am restoring (new fuel tanks, relocating it forward, redoing transom and closing it in and adding a bracket, re powering, etc.).

I am doing the work myself. I've seen enough videos that it doesn't scare me. I purchased Coosa board and the fiberglass and epoxy. I figure I'll have my sweat equity and $1500 or so in materials....plus finish work misc items. I've read on some posts about this costing $5000 or so if you pay to have it done.

Good luck!

jwsonas

Reaction score
Thanks UCPA111 , I'm fairly handy, but not enough to take that on, more power to you!
So around $5k +/-, and I'm afraid of what else might show up once it's done...

IpswichGrady

Reaction score
Model
Carribean
Good Day -

I am purchasing a '82 Caribbean 242 that will need a transom. I have also done some research and think I am going to go with Seacast (http://transomrepair.net/) rather than the Coosa board. I wish I could find some pics or videos online of the repair on a Grady. Anyone know of any pics or videos?

Im not afraid to tackle the project. Im assuming that the I will have to cut the cap off of the stern. As previously said, it would be nice to see (in any examples) what the process might be. Learn from other's mistakes.. right? When the repair is done I probably will have a professional put the cap back on so that everything looks good again.

JWSONAS & UCPA111.... have you guys begun your repair? have any advice... pics?

Thanks

IpswichGrady

Reaction score
Model
Carribean
That's a great video! Exactly what I was looking for. Something that shows how the stern is built and what to expect. I especially like your talking about the tools you used. I have both of those tools and will take your advice.. will learn from your experience. Your shop is miles above what I have.... I could only wish for an enclosure like that!

You also brought up points that I am unfamiliar with... the fact that your new fuel tank being aluminum should not sit in any water. While i am not an engineer who reads everything to death (no offense engineers) I am kinda anal and have learned over the years to be very clean. With this boat I now need to be thinking of being very dry.

My boat is already a full transom with an old OMC seadrive.
(sorry for the big pic.... first pic posted)
Oh, and that is not my yard! That's a pic the previous owner sent to me. Sheesh... what a mess!

My concern is how I expose the transom. I guess I need to cut the transom cap off and save it. Once the repair is complete re-attach it. If anyone has any pictures or a step by step that would be very helpful.