What a season ....not in a way

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
This year has been filled with ups and downs for us as a boating family. The ups include a new motor with digital throttle which I love. I upgraded all my nav lights to LED and the cockpit light to the touch switch LED. I also went LED on the spreaders but bought Taco brand and one is messing up. Going to switch to DR. LED next spring.

The huge downer for the season was of course the new motor being stolen and the month lost on the water. However, our trip to the Keys and Bimini was terrific. I was in customs in the Bahamas and they ask my vessel size and value. The captain next to me answers the question like 78 feet, $3.4 million.

I did not boat much in August. I rode my bicycle with my two brothers and sister on the Blue Ridge Parkway start to finish for 469 miles. It took us 8 days. Then we had school starting and such. Spent a weekend helping out Hurricane Harvey relief in east Texas and time and work just kept me off the water.

I know KY Grady got his dream boat and refitted her which took longer than expected too. Some of us could use a do over 2017 boating season. I myself could easily do the Keys and Bimini trip over. I have friends in Key Largo and I know they could use a break after Irma raked them over as well.

Here is to 2018 and to rest of 2017 too. Soon it will be too cold for my bones to be on the water here in the Smokies.

Fishtales

Reaction score
All and all sounds like a good season. If your cold down there, imagine us here in the NE....

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks SMG!! It has been a long time coming for me for sure to own my own Grady. My thanks goes to G8RDave for working with me and waiting on me to part company with my previous hobby. It's been a long process from April when I bought it till now, rehabbing and replacing salt damaged things that needed attention. I'm going on my first official fishing trip this coming weekend. Been on the water for some shakedown runs and all good finally.

I couldn't imagine your roller coaster ride this summer by having your motor stollen on a vacation run to Florida. Glad you made Bimini. It's on my bucket list along with the Keys, which I'll have to wait on till they can get it back together. Looking forward to Cape Coral next spring and being able to boat for 2 weeks.

Hopefully you'll get more water time next year and look forward to a follow up on the new motor after full season.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I got a whopping 37 hours on the motor. We normally can get almost 100 hours in a year. I caught 4 total dolphin this year (lol) . When the motor got stolen , I was down in Florida to fish for 4 days. That didn't happen of course. Anyway, the good news is the hull is all waxed up for the winter.

Fishtales, there is a reason I don't live further north. I have a sister who like me was born and raised in Florida but she decided New Jersey was her dream. Our winter Temps often match hers and sometimes beats them on the lows. We get spring before she does but it gets cold here. I miss the nearly year round boating I had in Florida.