Colored hull without water at dock?

tellch00

Reaction score
Debating on a color but wondering if I'll be sorry. We have no water at our community marina. Will the boat be a mess and show salt water? Opinions welcome.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Personally I would leave alone. I've see the early GWs that were painted versus having colored gel coat and many either look like crap or you will forever be touching them up to avoid the white underneath from showing. Just not worth painting in my opinion.

tellch00

Reaction score
Should have stated this would be on a brand new boat. Painted , not one of the gel coat options.

Fishtales

Reaction score
If a new boat it would be colored gelcoat. Much easier to maintain. I think any of the lighter colors would be fine. Stay away from dark blue, black (Grady doesn't offer black) and you will be fine. Personal choice.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Two things:

Fish;
On the new Marlins, at least, there are two painted options; "Cape Gray" & "Harbor Blue." The rest are colored gelcoat choices.

tellch00;

In either case, whether gel or paint I think keeping a new boat at a marina with no freshwater option is something to ponder.
You will not be able to flush your engine(s) or clean it up after a day taking salt spray. Apart from the visual aspect of salt on the hull, you are looking at premature wear & corrosion from salt and the elements. I would personally be uncomfortable in that scenario.

Good luck whichever way you go and enjoy your new ride!

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
with regard to no freshwater water access, I keep my 330 Express on a mooring in Nantucket for about 2 weeks / year. I use my raw-water washdown to get all the blood & guts off the boat and then I use the freshwater pull-put bait prep sink sprayer to finish off. I ended up replacing the sprayer hose with a 10ft hose (original was 6) so I can spray down the whole cockpit easily. And of course I have to fill up the freshwater tank more than usual, but I manage to keep the boat pretty clean this way.

seasick

Reaction score
I agree that flushing the motor is a bigger issue than the hull color but regardless, darker colors will show salt buildup more. Darker colors will also fade a bit faster over time due to the suns UV rays.
Lighter colors will show water line scum more. I would ,if getting a color, prefer colored gel coat over painted hulls. Perhaps the newer factory paint is better than in the past but I have seen paint issues especially when a hull is shrink wrapped for the off season. All that said, I really don't see colors all that well:)

Fishtales

Reaction score
everwhom said:
with regard to no freshwater water access, I keep my 330 Express on a mooring in Nantucket for about 2 weeks / year. I use my raw-water washdown to get all the blood & guts off the boat and then I use the freshwater pull-put bait prep sink sprayer to finish off. I ended up replacing the sprayer hose with a 10ft hose (original was 6) so I can spray down the whole cockpit easily. And of course I have to fill up the freshwater tank more than usual, but I manage to keep the boat pretty clean this way.

Thanks Bill... Didn't know that. Not that I'm a fan of a painted hull.