192 fuel smell

b-dog

Reaction score
i have a new to be 1995 grady white 192. The boats is in overall good shape. not banged up too bad and no signs of rot. today I had one of the inspection ports open and it had a fairly strong gas smell. first thing I thought was the tank but after using the search function on this site it seams that the poly tanks are pretty good usually and I need the check the sending unit gasket and fuel line conections. when I first bought the boat a couple months ago I had to clean the strainer in the tank and did not notice any strong smell then.
now to brag. I really do like the boat. rides good and I am slowly getting it rigged for fishing here on the local lake. it makes a nice large stable fishing platform especially for a 19ft.

Fishtales

Reaction score
check the lines themselves. probably time to redo the lines, clams and sending unit. inspect the tanks while you are at it.

b-dog

Reaction score
so this morning after work I took the access cover over the sending unit and took all the bolts out from the sending unit and inspected the gasket. the gasket appeared to be in good shape although the bolts seamed not very tight. I reinstalled and tighted bolts. I also raised the boat as high as I could with the tongue jack and did not get any gas in the bilge area. (not sure I would anyway)

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
As mentioned above already, there's a good chance that the smell is simply permeating through old lines. They are 23 years old, after all.

b-dog

Reaction score
thanks for all the advises. I am going to borrow a fiber optic camera from work with about 2.5' wand on it and try to inspect as much as possible. then I may just replace all the hoses because they are so old. aslso may run it in a couple day with the inspection doors off to see if I can see anything

JeffN

Reaction score
Is the top of the tank corroded under your inspection ports? That is where mine failed. No leakage to speak of just fuel smell. I had already replaced my fuel lines previously. Hope you find it is something simple.

b-dog

Reaction score
my tank is a poly tank. a little crusty maybe from over 20 years but not bad looking. my sending unit bolts were kinda loose so I hope that was it. it had been several day since I ran it and if that's what it was all the gas would have been evaporated anyway. I have already replaced the line to the motor and the fill hose and vent did not look too awful to get to.

JeffN

Reaction score
Yeah - sorry you spoke about the poly tank in your first post. Missed that.